The mystery of the broken bones
- Do not fail to diagnose anterior visual pathway tumor. Lee, Andrew G. // Ophthalmology Times;06/01/2001, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p15
Reveals the hallmarks of a compressive optic neuropathy due to a tumor of the anterior visual pathway. What prompts further evaluation for an optic neuropathy; Caution about the use of the term optic atrophy.
- The utility of relative afferent pupillary defect as a screening tool for glaucoma: prospective examination of a large population-based study in a south Indian population. Hennessy, Amy L.; Katz, Joanne; Ramakrishnan, Rengappa; Krishnadas, Ramasamy; Thulasiraj, Ravilla D.; Tielsch, James M.; Robin, Alan L. // British Journal of Ophthalmology;Sep2011, Vol. 95 Issue 9, p1203
Background Previous authors have suggested that an afferent pupillary defect (APD) may serve as an effective screening tool for some specific eye diseases, especially glaucomatous optic neuropathy, since the disease usually presents asymmetrically. Its success as a screening tool for glaucoma...
- A comparison of methods for gene dosage analysis in HMSN type 1. Rowland, Jayne S.; Barton, David E.; Taylor, Graham R. // Journal of Medical Genetics;Feb2001, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p90
A number of different approaches are used in diagnostic laboratories to detect the 1.5 Mb duplication at 17p11.2 seen in approximately 70% of patients with hereditary motor and sensory neuropathy type 1 (H.MSN1). Here we compare the methods used in UK diagnostic laboratories to detect the...
- Electrophysiological Evaluation of Peripheral and Autonomic Involvement in Leprosy. Soysal, Aysun; Atay, Turan; Ozu, Tacettin; Arpaci, Baki // Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences;Aug2004, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p357
Examines motor and sensory nerve conductions, F responses, sympathetic skin responses and R-R interval variations to determine the type of peripheral neuropathy among patients with leprosy. Finding that the lower extremity was more severely affected than the upper, and predominance of sensory...
- Frequency of mutations in the genes associated with hereditary sensory and autonomic neuropathy in a UK cohort. Davidson, G.; Murphy, S.; Polke, J.; Laura, M.; Salih, M.; Muntoni, F.; Blake, J.; Brandner, S.; Davies, N.; Horvath, R.; Price, S.; Donaghy, M.; Roberts, M.; Foulds, N.; Ramdharry, G.; Soler, D.; Lunn, M.; Manji, H.; Davis, M.; Houlden, H. // Journal of Neurology;Aug2012, Vol. 259 Issue 8, p1673
The hereditary sensory and autonomic neuropathies (HSAN, also known as the hereditary sensory neuropathies) are a clinically and genetically heterogeneous group of disorders, characterised by a progressive sensory neuropathy often complicated by ulcers and amputations, with variable motor and...
- Ask the doctor. Phelps, Kerryn // Australian Women's Weekly;May2014, Vol. 84 Issue 5, p153
The article presents questions and answers related to medical issues including one on acute sensory neuropathy, on prickly heat spots during perimenopause and the effects of removing a gall bladder.
- Effects of light fingertip touch on postural responses in subjects with diabetic neuropathy. Dickstein, R.; Peterka, R.J.; Horak, F.B. // Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry;May2003, Vol. 74 Issue 5, p620
Objectives:To investigate the potential benefits from lightly touching an external supporting device on automatic postural responses to support surface translations, in subjects with profound sensory neuropathy in the feet due to diabetes mellitus (DM-PN). Methods:...
- Alteraciones neuropsicolÃ³gicas en neuropatÃa motora multifocal con bloqueo de conducciÃ³n. Ruiz-Sandoval, María del Carmen; Reséndiz-Ramírez, Yunuen; Villaseñor-Cabrera, Teresita; Álvarez-Palazuelos, Lucía E.; Chiquete, Erwin; Ruiz-Sandoval, José L. // Revista Mexicana de Neurociencia;jul/ago2010, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p302
No abstract available.
- Peripheral neuropathy. // Journal of Neurology;May2006 Supplement 2, Vol. 253, pII107
The article presents abstracts of medical research related to peripheral neuropathy. They include "Familial amyloidotic neuropathy: an epidemiological and genetic study," "Prevalence of diabetic peripheral neuropathy and associated pain in French adults," and "A compound test for assessment of...