Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder
- Cocktails for two. Kinsley, Michael // New Republic;6/3/91, Vol. 204 Issue 22, p6
Comments on the United States government policy that bans pregnant women from drinking alcoholic beverages because of the risk of birth defects. Efforts by states to require restaurants and bars to post a pregnancy warning; Definition of moderate and light drinking; Claim that there is no...
- Addressing the issue. German, Amy // Nation (1206-2642);2/8/2013, Vol. 20 Issue 7, p24
The article discusses the highlights of the 2012 Annual General Assembly of the Crees. During the event, Cree Grand Chief signed a resolution which serves as a commitment to work on the issue of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) in Eeyou Istchee. The event was held at the Deltal Hoter in...
- Prenatal alcohol exposure among Alaska Native/American Indian infants. Khan, Burhan A.; Robinson, Renee F.; Smith, Julia J.; Dillard, Denise A. // Circumpolar Health Supplements;2013 Supplement 1, Vol. 72, p147
Background. Recent reports indicate a decline in rates of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) among Alaska Native and American Indian (AN/AI) infants. Nevertheless, AN/AI infants remain disproportionately impacted by the effects of prenatal alcohol exposure. Methods. AN/AI pregnant women in their 3rd...
- The United States Surgeon General recently issued an Advisory on Alcohol Use in Pregnancy. // Exceptional Parent;Jun2005, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p20
Reports on the U.S. Surgeon General's issuance of an Advisory on Alcohol Use in Pregnancy. Birth defects caused by prenatal alcohol exposure; Prevention of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.
- New assessment tools for risk drinking during pregnancy. Russell, Marcia // Alcohol Health & Research World;1994, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p55
Comments on screening tools that have demonstrated varying degrees of accuracy in identifying risk drinkers among pregnant women. Discussion of drinking that puts the fetus at risk for developing fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS); Overview of assessment tools; The TWEAK Test; T-ACE; Other screening...
- Intervention and the child with FAS. Weiner, Lyn; Morse, Barbara A. // Alcohol Health & Research World;1994, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p67
Comments on some research that indicates that specific interventions may help children with fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) better overcome their cognitive and behavioral problems; Central nervous system abnormalities in children with FAS; Dealing with learning difficulties; Inappropriate social...
- Congress hears about fetal alcohol syndrome. // Addiction Letter;Apr96, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p7
Discusses the fetal alcohol syndrome. Effects of alcohol use during pregnancy on the fetus; Contact information.
- Sobering news. // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Mar94, Vol. 55 Issue 3, p28
Reports on the effect of alcohol consumption at any stage of pregnancy on the fetus. Fetal alcohol syndrome as the leading cause of mental retardation in infants.
- Screening for alcohol abuse in pregnancy. Barrison, I.G.; Wright, J.T.; Sampson, B.; Morris, N.F.; Murray-Lyon, Iain M. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);11/6/1982, Vol. 285 Issue 6351, p1318
Reports the screening for alcohol abuse in pregnancy. Presence of fetal alcohol syndrome; Occurrence of alcohol consumption in women; Assessment of pregnant women taking alcohol.