On the Borderline Between Elite and Mass Culture
- Editor's Introduction. Fewsmith, Joseph // Chinese Economy;Sep/Oct2002, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p3
Focuses on the political and social stability of China. Discussion on authoritarianism; Information on populism and equalitarianism; Challenges of globalization.
- Democracy and Durability: Empirical Analysis and a Causality Test. Ali, Abdiweli M. // Atlantic Economic Journal;Mar2005, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p105
The current literature has failed to differentiate between the collapse of democratic and authoritarian rules or whether democratic regimes collapse for the same reasons as do authoritarian regimes. Therefore, the current literature is silent on whether democracies are more fragile or less...
- Middle East Security Overview. // UAE Defence & Security Report;Q4 2011, Issue 4, p25
The article presents an overview of the security in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. It discusses the political upheavals in the MENA region aimed at toppling authoritarian governments and democratise the political systems. Some of the sources of political instability in the...
- DISARTICULATING POLITICS. Schwartzman, Kathleen C. // Journal of Political & Military Sociology;Fall89, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p317
The study of democratic instability falls in the interstices of the literature on the 'preconditions for democracy' and the origins of authoritarian regimes. In the first case, it attains in the inverse of those conditions which give rise to, or maintain democracy. In the second, democratic...
- Ours won't be a cliff-hanger. // Money Management;11/22/2012, Vol. 26 Issue 45, p26
The article discusses political culture and political stability.
- A journey beyond the Coral Sea. Moran, Michael // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);May2005, Vol. 77 Issue 5, p44
Presents information on the cultural and social aspects of Papua New Guinea. Number of Papuan languages; Peace and order problems in the country; Struggles faced by the country to achieve political stability; Information on wantokism.
- One of Our Islands Is Missing. // Time;8/20/1965, Vol. 86 Issue 8, p30
The article focuses on the formation of a federation called Malaysia which is supported by Great Britain. It is developed to provide economic unity, political stability, and a bulwark against expansion by Red China or Indonesia. It is considered that the federation is doomed from the start due...
- The Two-Tier System of Property Rights and the Transitional Situation in China. Zhang Shu // Chinese Sociology & Anthropology;Fall1991, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p65
In this article, the author argues on the possibility of adopting new authoritarianism even under Chinese communist rule. For the past ten years the Chinese Communist regime has implemented a two-tier system of property rights. It has already begun to transform the basic modes of life and of...
- Authoritarianism and Political Behavior. JanowItz, Morris; Marvick, Dwaine // Public Opinion Quarterly;Summer53, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p185
This article explores the relationship between authoritarianism and political behavior. In common sense language, the authoritarian is the individual who is concerned with power and toughness and who is prone to resolve conflict in an arbitrary manner. Research into political behavior need not...