Under Watchful Eyes
- TEXAS TACKLES DEVASTATING FIRE SEASON WITH COMPLEX, INTERAGENCY RESPONSE. Huffman, Holly; Saginor, April // Fire Management Today;2012, Vol. 72 Issue 2, p6
The article reports that Texas Forest Service and local fire departments responded to over 30,000 fires during the 2011 fire season. It summarizes the 2011 fire season, the guiding principles of Texas Forest Service, and online resources. It states that almost every county in Texas implemented a...
- ARCHIVAL TIPS. // Fire Chief;Apr2009, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p32
The article offers tips for fire departments personnel who are planning to develop an archive. According to the author, the primary thing to do in connection with the plan is to appoint an individual responsible to keep track of the written history of names, dates, places and faces of people. It...
- NEWS GLIMPSES. // Fire Engineering;Dec2005, Vol. 158 Issue 12, p42
The article offers news briefs related to various fire departments in the U.S. Some of the staff members of Dallas, Texas Fire Department have opposed the proposal of changing the name of the department; the proposal has been suggested by the charter amendment. From Spring 2006, Chicago,...
- The $500 Training Makeover. CREAMER, JOSH; MUELLER, DANNY // Fire Engineering;Dec2012, Vol. 165 Issue 12, p12
The article discusses the training program developed by volunteer fire fighters at the Boone County Fire Protection District in Missouri. It states that increased training methods that focused less engaging in hands-on training made it difficult to train volunteers under the previous system....
- A festival of firehouses. Smith Jr., H.L. // Architectural Record;Mar1988, Vol. 176 Issue 3, p110
A sampling of photographs by Lisa Clifford for a recent exhibit of firehouses built over the last century, for the grand opening of New York City's Firehouse Museum.
- Public-private partnership. Olsztynski, Jim // PHC Profit Report;1/15/96, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p8
Reports that The Naperville Fire Department accepted a delivery vehicle which allows it to respond to specialized situations that require special equipment not normally owned by fire departments. What the department has done.
- What's in a name? Sachs, Gordon M. // Fire Engineering;Aug96, Vol. 149 Issue 8, p127
Discusses the need to match the name and functions of fire departments to reflect their overall mission that has components beyond the function of fire extinction. Fire department's specialties; Disadvantages of standing by fire departments' traditional name.
- Ready to burn. Michalski, Dan // Texas Monthly;Sep94, Vol. 22 Issue 9, p78
Focuses on the need for full-time professional firefighters at Travis County, Texas. Danger from wildland-urban interface; Problems with the system of volunteer fire protection; Option of creating a countywide fire department; Resistance for a major overhaul from the volunteer departments.
- Plenty of sweets at Kyle Fish Fry. // Free Press (Buda, TX);10/15/2008, Vol. 105 Issue 28, p6A
A photograph of participants at the annual Kyle Fire Department fish fry held in Texas on October 11, 2008 is presented.