Simulator looks to arm fire managers with knowledge in interface areas
- AN ANSWER TO A BURNING QUESTION: WHAT WILL THE FOREST SERVICE SPEND ON FIRE SUPPRESSION THIS SUMMER? Abt, Karen L.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Gebert, Krista M. // Fire Management Today;Summer2009, Vol. 69 Issue 3, p26
The article presents a forecast on the wildfire program budget under the U.S. Forest Service Fire and Aviation Management. Using computer models, statistical estimation of suppression costs can be based on previous year's suppression costs, climate drought conditions, and a time trend. The...
- A Mapping Firewall. Buckley, David; Berry, Joseph K.; Barchelor, Jason // GEOWorld;Oct2009, Vol. 22 Issue 10, p20
The article focuses on the importance of geotechnology, map-analysis procedures, and web-based visualization in the identification of wildfire-prone areas. It discusses the three distinct elements of wildfire threat and risk models such as wildfire threat, effects, and risk. It states that the...
- Burning Question. Behar, Michael // Atlantic;Sep2012, Vol. 310 Issue 2, p40
The article discusses the effectiveness of computer modeling software by fire-behavior analysts (FBANs) to track wildfires, focusing on how the environmental conditions in the Western U.S. have made wildfires more unpredictable. Topics include FBAN Clint Dawson, the ways in which fire prevention...
- SCIENCE NEWS. Klein, Andrew; Bruno, Taro; Thompson, Andrea; Goudarzi, Sara; Hamalainen, Karina // Science World;2/1/2010, Vol. 66 Issue 9, p3
This section presents an update on issues related to science including the use of goats to help prevent wildfires.
- NO FUEL LIKE AN OLD FUEL. Pyne, Stephen J. // Fire Management Today;Fall2000, Vol. 60 Issue 4, p4
Focuses on the advantages and disadvantages of using fuels in wildfire control. Distinction between biomass and fuel; Ways employed for the proper management of fuels and the prevention of risk in controlled burning; Importance of free-burning in the ecological process.
- Where were MAFFS when PK needed 'em? // Graham Leader;4/24/2011, Vol. 135 Issue 72, p4A
The author reflects on the two C-130 aircraft with Modular Airborne Fire Fighting Systems (MAFFS) that were supposed to come to Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas to fight wildfires.
- A BURNING NEED FOR LONG-TERM WILDLAND-URBAN INTERFACE MANAGEMENT. Prentice, George // Boise Weekly;5/25/2011, Vol. 19 Issue 48, p10
The article reports on the creation of a long-term wildfire prevention plan by the government officials in Boise, Idaho.
- Fire Restrictions In Place At Ozark National Scenic Riverways. // National Parks Traveler;7/5/2012, p1
The article informs that the officials of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways in Missouri have prohibited the use of any fire works to prevent wildfires.
- Prevention: An emerging science. Terry, Billy J. // Fire Management Notes;1997, Vol. 57 Issue 3, p4
Focuses on the changes in wildland fire prevention in the United States. Statistics on wildland fires acreage from 1987 to 1996; Increase in federal spending on fire suppression; US Federal Emergency Management Agency's issuance of over 60 fire suppression assistance grants; Reasons for the...