The insanity defense: matricide in a French Quarter hotel
- The Legal Concept of Insanity and the Treatment of Criminal Impulses. Hacker, Frederick J.; Frym, Marcel // California Law Review;Dec49, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p575
Discusses the legal concept of insanity as a defense in criminal cases in the U.S. Approaches to criminal responsibility; Tests of insanity; Concepts of mental disease.
- Comment on Recent Cases. R.C.F.; J.S.M. Jr.; H.S.J.; H.E.A.; G.W.W. Jr.; W.C.J.; M.D.S.; G.B.W.; C.P.W.; H.L.K.; R.E.H.; V.M.A.; M.P.G. // California Law Review;Nov15, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p52
Presents commentaries on court cases in the U.S. as of November 1915. Abatement of action upon death of wrongdoer and of beneficiary in an action for wrongful death case; Effect of pendency of a foreign garnishment on a domestic action for a debt; Books of account in actions against administrators.
- Solving the Mystery of Insanity Law: Zealous Representation of Mentally Ill Servicemembers. Ball, Major Jeremy A. // Army Lawyer;Dec2005, Issue 391, p1
The article focuses on the difficulties faced by the trial defense counsel while handling a case of mentally suffering army personnel of the United States. According to the article, the law in the Army justice system which is applicable to mentally ill personnel needs an immediate revision....
- Lawyers on the Docket. WALSH, MARK // ABA Journal;Oct2011, Vol. 97 Issue 10, p20
The article focuses on the U.S. Supreme Court term which ended with cases of legal representation. Five cases had involvement of defense counsel. As stated by the legal director of the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation Kent S. Scheidegger, an unusual number of petitions have been granted. The...
- A Husband In Trouble. Murr, Andrew; Joseph, Nadine // Newsweek;4/28/2003, Vol. 141 Issue 17, p38
Focuses on a murder case in Modesto, California involving fertilizer salesman, Scott Peterson. Evidence in the missing-persons investigation concerning his pregnant wife Laci; Surveillance of Peterson during the investigation; Charges of double homicide against Peterson after two decomposed...
- Law Review: Park Pot Hole Bike Fatality. Kozlowski, James C. // Parks & Recreation;Sep2006, Vol. 41 Issue 9, p36
The article reports on the New York court case of Phelan v. State. Kevin Phelan filed a wrongful death suit against the State of New York after his wife fell from her bicycle while riding over a depression in a road in Thompson Lake State Park. Phelan argued that his wife died because the road...
- Brain Imaging for Legal Thinkers: A Guide for the Perplexed. Jones, Owen D.; Buckholtz, Joshua W.; Schall, Jeffrey D.; Marois, Rene // Stanford Technology Law Review;2009, Issue 3, p1
The article offers information regarding the guidelines that may help to understand and avoid misunderstanding with regards to the studies conducted on brain imaging by the legal thinkers. It refers a case wherein the brain imaging study were to considered to provide information on the impact of...
- St. Valentine's day. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);12/23/95, Vol. 311 Issue 7021, p1717
Presents the author's reflections on the causes and consequences of the wastage in her life and her mother's life. Memories of the death of the author's mother; Stigma of family predisposition to insanity.
- Slapped. Viehman, John // Backpacker;May94, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p7
Discusses a case against environmentalists in the nature of Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation (SLAPP). Background of the case; Court decision favoring the timber company and ruling against the protesters; Implication of such decision to other environmental protection actions;...