First New Frigate Heads To South Africa
- Combat Fleets. Wertheim, Eric // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Aug2004, Vol. 130 Issue 8, p90
The fourth and final MEKO A-200SAN I frigate, the Mendi, was delivered to the South African Navy on June 15, 2004. The Mendi and three sisters, known as the Valour class, are based on a Blohm + Voss design and were ordered by South Africa in late 1999, with work beginning in August 2001. The...
- Another Great Leap Forward? Friedman, Norman // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Nov2009, Vol. 135 Issue 11, p90
The article focuses on a military parade held on October 1, 2009 in Beijing, China, which showcased the Chinese military modernization. The big Russian parades of the past were recalled by the parade. The display of 52 weapons was announced by the Chinese including the DF-21 maneuverable...
- Third Meko Corvette Arrives in South Africa. Puttré, Michael // Journal of Electronic Defense;Jul2004, Vol. 27 Issue 7, p26
Reports on the delivery of the Meko A-200 corvette SAS Spioenkop naval vessel in South Africa. Assignment of the vessel to add the logistics of the South African Navy; Builder of the vessel; Anticipation for the vessel to be equipped with weapons and electronics systems.
- Defense Forces. // South Africa Country Review;2009, p51
The article offers information on the armed forces in South Africa.
- Defense Forces. // South Africa Country Review;2010, p52
The article offers information on the defense forces of South Africa including its military population, military branches, and military expenditures.
- Defense Forces. // South Africa Country Review;2011, p70
The article offers information on the defense forces of South Africa including its manpower in general population-fit for military service, manpower reaching eligible age annually, and current capabilities.
- Troops discovered in Angola. // Newsweek;6/10/1985, Vol. 105 Issue 23, p59
Reagan's `constructive engagement' policy was questioned as a South African army commando unit was discovered to be on a mission to destroy an oil terminal in Angola. The last of the S. African troops were to have been withdrawn in April under a US-mediated accord. The event was a blow to the...
- South Africa navy chooses shipboard windowing system from RGB Spectrum. // Military & Aerospace Electronics;Apr2003, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p36
Reports that surface warfare experts from the South African navy have chosen visualization technologies based on the RGB/View 6000 multiple window display processor from RGB Spectrum for their MEKO A200S Corvette surface combatants that will enter service in 2004. Companies whose engineers are...
- ABRUPT CHANGE. // Naval Forces;2014, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p56
The article discusses South Africa's plans to consider expansion of maritime security and deployment of larger fleet. Topics discussed lack of funding and personnel required in expansion, operational challenge of South African Navy regarding Mozambique Channel patrols, and tripartite memorandum...