- Education: New Beginnings. Cygielman, Victor // Palestine-Israel Journal of Politics, Economics & Culture;2001, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p3
Editorial. Focuses on the textbooks used in Israeli and Palestinian schools. Evaluation of the educational conduction in Israeli and Palestinian schools; Improvements in the writing of Israeli textbook in devoiding anti-Arab bias; Factors affecting passionate effort to promote education for peace.
- Bill Would Scale Down Textbook Choices. // District Administration;Dec2003, Vol. 39 Issue 12, p37
Reports on Massachusetts' decision to join other states in limiting textbook weights. Application of the rules on newly purchased of updated versions of textbooks for students in grades 1-12.
- One Child, One Book. Foulon, Hervé // Quill & Quire;Feb98, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p23
Describes the inability of schools in Canada to buy enough textbooks to provide each student his or her own copy due to public-sector cutbacks. Possible social consequences of depriving students of important educational tools; Recommendation of a program of direct subsidies for families who...
- NEWS IN BRIEF: UTAH. // Advocate;4/21/92, Issue 601, p30
Reports on the state board of education's rejection of a proposal to drop Utah's ban on purchase of public-school textbooks that describe homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle.
- Texas Repeals Rule On Textbook Presentation Of Evolution. Sanders, Steve // Phi Delta Kappan;Jun84, Vol. 65 Issue 10, p727
Focuses on the decision of the Texas board of education to repeal its requirement that evolution be presented in textbooks as only one of several explanations and not as a verified fact of science. Reaction to a state attorney general's opinion that the rule had no secular purpose; Violation of...
- State and Local Control: Rainbows and Dark Clouds. Pipho, Chris // Phi Delta Kappan;Sep88, Vol. 70 Issue 1, p6
Focuses on the status of the education system in the U.S. Production of academic bankruptcy laws due to state control; Plans for countervailing moves to give local districts more autonomy through pilot programs for restructuring books; Creation of incentive programs in several states; State aid...
- Hungarians Protest Over Centralized Education. // Transitions Online;2/8/2016, p1
The article reports that thousands of teachers, students and parents took to the streets in several cities across Hungary on February 3, 2016 to protest government's centralization of the education system. Educators are also opposing the imposition of mandatory textbooks and reviews that...
- Double take. // Finweek;2/14/2013, p31
The comic strip "Double Take" is presented.
- Calif. Texts Tied Up in Debate Over Portrayal of Hinduism. Manzo, Kathleen Kennedy // Education Week;2/8/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 22, p9
The article presents information on a controversy related to the portrayal of Hinduism in history texts in California. California education officials have been caught off guard by an aggressive campaign by two Hindu organizations to recast sections of several middle school history texts dealing...