- Predator Bill Clears Md. Panel . // American Banker;4/9/2002, Vol. 167 Issue 67, p12
Reports the predatory-lending bill passed by the Senate Finance Committee in Maryland. Protection of citizens from ravages of predatory lending; Opposition of preemption plan; Benefits of lenders on the bill.
- Proposed Regulation Z on Truth in Lending. Solomon, Frederic // Banking;Dec68, Vol. 61 Issue 6, p37
Discusses issues concerning the Regulation Z published by the U.S. Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System to implement the Truth in Lending Act which was signed into law on May 29, 1968. Purpose of the regulation; Areas covered by the proposed regulation; Format of the regulation;...
- Countrywide Backs Federal Pre-Emption. // National Mortgage News;4/22/2002, Vol. 26 Issue 30, p20
Reports on the federal legislation over the abusive lending practices in Georgia. Pre-emption on the proliferation of state and local statutes; Elimination of loan features in the bill; Establishment of uniform predatory lending protection.
- Ga. Law May Spur Federal Predatory-Lending Bill. Bergquist, Erick // American Banker;5/1/2002, Vol. 167 Issue 83, p10
Reports the adoption of anti-predatory lending bill by the state in Georgia. Approval of the bill by governor Roy Barnes; Restriction on subprime lending by the bill; Statement regarding the bill by attorney Wright Andrews.
- FLORIDA AND GEORGIA FAIR LENDING BILLS SIGNED. // Mortgage Banking;06/01/2002, Vol. 62 Issue 9, p12
Reports on signing of bills on lending in Florida and Georgia as of June 2002. Provisions of the bills.
- Defending a free standing Equal Credit Opportunity Act claim. Thomas, Charlotte E. // Banking Law Journal;Feb97, Vol. 114 Issue 2, p108
Suggests approaches to the defense of claims brought by prospective borrowers under the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA). How direct evidence of discrimination can be established; Information on disparate impact analysis, a legal standard under ECOA.
- Sarbanes Asks Predatory Bill. Collins, Brian // National Mortgage News;7/30/2001, Vol. 25 Issue 43
Reports on the legislative proposal to protect loan borrowers from predatory lending and equity stripping in the United States. Importance of consumer education and enforcement of laws; Legality of certain lending practices; Processes dealing with problems of predatory lending.
- MBL Hike Hopes Fade. // Credit Union Times;7/28/2010, Vol. 21 Issue 29, p2
The article reports on the failure of lawmakers in Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C. to bring up a proposal to raise the cap on member business loans which was endorsed by U.S. President Barack Obama's administration.
- Clash over curbing borrowers' right to back out. Gardner, Jeremiah // American Banker;7/20/1995, Vol. 150 Issue 138, p16
Talks about the impact of the passage of legislation by the Congress on limiting the Truth-in-Lending Act. Provisions of the Act; Proposed changes; Views expressed by Richard L. Mount, president, Independent Bankers Association, and others.
- Financial institutions: Think insurance coverage for claims ... Gerstel, Linda B.; Farrell, Jean M. // Corporate Legal Times;Jun97, Vol. 7 Issue 67, p40
Focuses on creditors' rights which often involves disputes between a creditor and a borrower. Alleged violations of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA); Penalty for violation of ECOA by creditors; Actions to be taken when a financial institution is presented with a claim.