A Warning from Westly
- California's Westly has Own Ideas. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;2/27/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31830, p1
Reports on statements by California Controller Steve Westly on the state's deficit bond proposal during a meeting of the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco in February 2004. Need to take advantage of low interest rates; Proposal for open primaries that would encourage less partisan voters to...
- Time Is Running Out for Budget Plan, California Controller Warns Lawmakers. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;7/27/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31934, p3
Reports that California Controller Steve Westly has urged an end to the state budget stalemate, saying the standoff will begin to cause real harm to community colleges. Objections of Democrats to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's multibillion no-new-taxes budget proposal; Westley's worries...
- Schwarzenegger Pushes Spending Cap., $15B Deficit Bond. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;12/3/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31773, p6
Reports on the budget cap and bond issue plan of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Payment of the budget deficit of the state; Expansion of gubernatorial authority.
- Schwarzenegger's Plan Calls for $15B of GOs to Go Before Voters. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;11/19/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31765, p1
Announces the fiscal recovery plan of California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Identification of general obligation fiscal recovery bond; Details on the final maturity of the prospective bonds; Establishment of spending limit.
- A Governor's Gamble. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;7/30/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31937, p1
Reports on the bond issuance to provide a cash infusion for California in return for allowing expanded tribal gambling rights. Agreement between Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger with five Indian tribes; Reaction of the voters to two gaming proposals; Generation of additional state revenue.
- California Ballot Doubts: Five Big Bond Questions Face Uphill Climb. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;9/15/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32467, p1
The article reports on the doubt on the approval of the deal of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger with Democratic lawmakers to place a package of huge infrastructure bond measures on the November ballot in California. A recent poll showed that all the bond measures may struggle to win approval....
- Deficit Bond Deadline. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;12/5/2003, Vol. 347 Issue 31775, p1
Reports on the $15 billion deficit bond measure proposed by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to help cover the state's budget deficit. Previously planned bond issues replaced by the measure; Spending cap proposal accompanying the measure; Reactions of state legislators to the proposal.
- California Puts Off $1.5B Sale. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;12/9/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31777, p1
Reports that California has postponed a general obligation bond sale in the wake of collapse of deficit bond and spending cap referendum proposals. Spending cap produced by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger; Reschedule of the sale of the bonds; Support of Schwarzenegger on a petition driver on...
- Angelides: Deficit Bonds A Bad Idea. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;11/7/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31757, p1
Reports on the warning of California treasurer Phil Angelides to governor-elect Arnold Schwarzenegger against a large-scale deficit bond issue. Opposition for a deficit borrowing plan; Challenges faced in the state's budget; Comment of Schwarzenegger on the issue.