A Test of the Healing Power Of Prayer
- AHCPR funds 5-year stroke study at Duke University. // Public Health Reports;Mar/Apr92, Vol. 107 Issue 2, p239
Announces that the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR) of the Public Health Service is awarding a 5-year contract to Duke University Medical Center in Durham, N.C. to improve methods of preventing strokes in people who are at high risk or have had transient ischemic attacks. ...
- Employees support Duke in hospital deal. // AHA News;11/17/97, Vol. 33 Issue 45, p6
Reports on Duke University Medical Center employees' expression of support for a plan by Durham County, N.C., commissioners to lease county-owned hospitals to Duke University Medical Center. Terms of proposal.
- Duke hospital may cut up to 1,500 positions. // Modern Healthcare;8/8/94, Vol. 24 Issue 32, p49
Reports on the elimination of 1,500 jobs at the Duke University Medical Center as part of the hospital's cost-cutting measures. Information dissemination; Method of job elimination; Background on hospital employment.
- Southeast. // Modern Healthcare;6/5/95, Vol. 25 Issue 23, p33
Reports on the collaboration talks between Duke University Medical Center and Durham Regional Hospital in Durham, North Carolina. Outlining of options for collaboration and coordination of healthcare services; Plans for finalizing deals.
- Mind Over Matter. // Poptronics;Mar2001, Vol. 2 Issue 3, p8
Reports that researchers from the Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina have tested a neural system on monkeys that enable the animals to use their brain signals, as detected by implanted electrodes, to control a robot arm to reach for a piece of food. Success of the...
- Chiller compressor retrofit option makes sense for university medical center. // Air Conditioning Heating & Refrigeration News;05/11/98, Vol. 204 Issue 2, p7
Describes the compressor and condensing units found in the Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina. Upgrades or replacement to chiller at the medical center complex; International standards prohibiting the manufacture of chlorofluorocarbon-11 refrigerants; Retrofitting options...
- County to vote on N.C. hospital's fate. Hallam, Kristen // Modern Healthcare;04/06/98, Vol. 28 Issue 14, p17
Focuses on Durham County, North Carolina Commission's decision to vote on the management of the county's struggling 216-bed hospital. Estimated loses of the Durham Regional Hospital; Offering of Duke University Medical Center to Durham Regional; Actions taken by the commission on the hospitals.
- Retroactive prayer: lots of history, not much mystery, and no science. Bishop, Jeffrey P.; Stenger, Victor J. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);12/18/2004, Vol. 329 Issue 7480, p1444
Presents an opinion on the power of prayer and its ability to work retrospectively which the authors claim is beyond current scientific knowledge. Argument of Alshansky and Dossey that prayer could work at a distance of space and might act retroactively in time; Author's contention that the...
- Intercessory Prayer As Complimentary Medicine. Shors, Patsy // Iowa Nurse Reporter;Mar2006, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p29
Explores the use of intercessory prayer as complimentary medicine in the U.S. Impact of religion on medical care; Interest of the people in intercessory prayer as a therapeutic method; Efficacy of intercessory prayer in treating illnesses.