fields & frames
- QUALITY CONTROL. // Entertainment Weekly;10/8/2004, Issue 787, p101
Lists the top 10 DVD sales of motion pictures for the week ending September 19, 2004 in the U.S.
- End-to-end digital cinema. Patel, Maurice // IBE: International Broadcast Engineer;Dec2002/Jan2003, Issue 332, p20
Focuses on the business implications of digital technology in the motion picture industry. Factors leading to the expansion of digital cinema post-production; Increase in the number of films going through a digital intermediate process for image resolution; Security risks involved in the...
- Getting on the e-cinema bandwagon. // World Broadcast Engineering;Apr2000, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p8
Reports on the growing popularity of electronic/digital cinema (e-cinema) within the film production industry. Entry of hardware manufacturers into the market; Early adopters; Project manufacturers boosting enthusiasm for e-cinema; Hollywood productions that drew the most interest.
- MP4 puts pic biz in digital piracy fray. Sweeting, Paul // Variety;06/12/2000, Vol. 379 Issue 4, p8
Provides information on the issues regarding the use of the MP4 digital video format in accessing motion pictures through the Internet. Impact of MP4 on the movie industry; How Internet users can download compressed motion pictures; Details on the MP4 program developed by the Moving Pictures...
- DVD DISC JOCKEYING. Speier, Michael; Hettrick, Scott // Variety;9/3/2001, Vol. 384 Issue 3, p1
Cites greed as the most frequent reason films are withheld from digital video disc (DVD) format. Other reasons for the lack of DVD versions; Companies that promoted the DVD format during its launch in 1997; Amount spent by consumers in the United States on DVD rentals and purchases in 2000.
- Digital derby fuels reel sense of loss. McCarthy, Todd // Variety;06/28/99-07/11/99, Vol. 375 Issue 7, p7
Evaluates the projection of motion pictures via digital means in the United States. How the public and the press embraced this revolution; Suspicions about digital projection; Projection of pictures using the JVC/Hughes system; Images offered by MaxiVision 48, a system viewable at the...
- Tech talk. DiOrio, Carl // Hollywood Reporter;2/9/95, Vol. 335 Issue 48, p12
Reports on technology-related developments in the entertainment industry. Includes EDS' acquisition of Varitel Video; Rene Daalder as visual effects director of Matrans Prods.' `Habitat'; Addition of Shades of Lights Studios to Donald Morgan and Rick Tucker's Shades of Light business group;...
- Format is friendly to short works by acclaimed auteurs. Panter, Nicole // Daily Variety;12/29/2000, Vol. 270 Issue 20, pA4
Reports on the use of DVD technology for releasing short works by acclaimed film directors. Increase in the demand for short films; Warner Home Video's distribution of 'Short' discs featuring works by selected filmmakers.
- UK cinemas move towards digital films. // New Media Age;6/2/2005, p2
This article reports on the meeting that will be held by British cinema operators in London, England in June 2005 in an important next step for the film industry's move towards a digital future. The United Kingdom (UK) Film Council revealed the first 209 cinemas that will make up the new Digital...