The Genesis of the Chain Store
- Steps Taken by the Federal Government. // Congressional Digest;Aug/Sep30, Vol. 9 Issue 8/9, p196
Discusses the action by U.S. Congress, the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission in dealing with chain stores. Passage of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act; Supreme Court's decision on the case of Doctor Miles Medical Co. v. John D. Park and Sons Co.; Passage of a bill creating the...
- briefs. Rosa, Taina // Caribbean Business;3/11/2004, Vol. 32 Issue 12, p14
Reports on developments concerning the business sector in Puerto Rico as of March 2004. Promotional activity for food and beverage distributor Garrido & Co.; Sales at retail chain stores in the U.S. mainland during the week ending February 28; Public hearing at the Puerto Rican senate to...
- Retail Stores in the United States 1800-1860. Jones, Fred Mitchell // Journal of Marketing;Oct36, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p134
The article focuses on retail stores in the United States from 1800 to 1860. A historical overview of the development of retailing methods and the economic and social trends that precipitated those practices are presented. The differentiating characteristics of and specific needs addressed by...
- Home centers. // Chain Store Age;Oct95, Vol. 71 Issue 10, p14
Presents chain store news items for October 1995. Includes resident of Yarmouth, Massachusetts' voting against The Home Depot's plan to locate a store in their area; HomePlace's plan to open a store in Saint Louis, Missouri; Builder Square's launching of a gift registry.
- General merchandise. // Chain Store Age;Oct95, Vol. 71 Issue 10, p14
Presents general merchandise chain store news items for October 1995. Includes Montgomery Ward's plan to purchase a 19.6% stake in Levitz Furniture; Jamesway's denial of rumors that it is negotiating a sale; Delay of Kmart's opening of a store in Manhattan.
- Specialty stores. // Chain Store Age;Oct95, Vol. 71 Issue 10, p18
Presents specialty chain store news items for October 1995. Includes Edison Bros. Stores' plan to close 250 stores by the end of 1996; Claire's Stores acquisition of an option to purchase Bow Bangles Holdings Ltd.; TJX's agreement to sell its Hit or Miss division.
- Don't just look, touch! Talmadge, Candace // Chain Store Age;Oct95, Vol. 71 Issue 10, p36
Features Teach & Play Smart retail chain. Foundation history; Allowing of children to test its products; Number of stores; Items for educators and home schoolers; Marketing strategy.
- Who's using whom? // Chain Store Age;Oct95, Vol. 71 Issue 10, p76
Presents chain store news items for the month of October 1995. Includes Hughes Markets' selection of Stores Automated Systems Inc. to provide its new-generation point-of-sale system; Jiffy Lube International's contracting for electronic payment services from National Data Corp.; Minit Mart...
- Bits & bytes. // Chain Store Age;Oct95, Vol. 71 Issue 10, p76
Presents chain store news items for the month of October 1995. Includes the interfacing of the Aurora supermarket point-of-sale systems from Innovax Concepts with Shrink Trax; E3CRISP from E3 Software's listing as a Kmart-approved Vendor Management Inventory package; Indentix's entry into an...