NEWS IN BRIEF
- The Digest. // Bond Buyer;10/23/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31746, p1
Reports developments related to the bond market in the U.S. as of October 23, 2003. Extension of the municipal bond gains; Proposal of Maryland Gov. Robert K. Ehrlich Jr. to use slot machine revenue to close the state's budget gap; Range of prices for California short-term notes.
- NEWS IN BRIEF. Newman, Emily; Siegel, Gary E. // Bond Buyer;5/21/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31640, p2
Presents news briefs related to the U.S. bond market as of May 21, 2003. Posted budget surplus of the U.S. federal government in April 2003; Reduction in predicted figure of economic expansion; Tender rate at which cash management bills were sold.
- NORTHEAST Bond-Watch. Newman, Emily; D'Ambrosio, Jill; Daulerio, A.J.; McDonald, Michael // Bond Buyer;6/7/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31899, p45
Looks at developments in the bond market in the Northeastern States as of June 7, 2004. Moody's Investors Service's upgrading of the general obligation limited-tax bonds of Prince George's County; Maryland Comptroller William D. Schaeffer's announcement of the distribution of entertainment tax...
- Budget offers good support to market. Gable, Jeff // Finweek;2/28/2008 Budget Supplement, p12
The article discusses different reactions over the Budget speech of Finance Minister Trevor Manuel. While, South Africa's National Treasury announced the continuation of fiscal surpluses and net debt redemptions despite slowing economic activity. According to the author, reactions were in part...
- J.P. Morgan Picked to Head $1 Billion California Slot Machine Deal. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;9/10/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31966, p36
This article reports that J.P. Morgan Securities Inc. has been appointed lead manager of a $1 billion-plus bond issue planned by California to securitize payments several Indian tribes have agreed to make to the state in return for being allowed to expand their slot machine activities. Public...
- Slots in the sky. Brown, Ann; Whigham-Desir, Marjorie // Black Enterprise;Dec96, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p132
Focuses on airlines' incorporation of slot machines in their fleets. Loss limits.
- The Trojan horse track. Maginnis, John // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);02/24/97, Vol. 17 Issue 34, p5
Opinion. Discusses whether slot machines should be placed at racetracks in Louisiana. Belief that slot machines would encourage gambling; Reference to the casino industry in Detroit, Michigan; Impact of video poker machines in Louisiana's bar rooms and restaurants.
- Slots are not a sure bet for Fair Grounds. Caywood, Thomas // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);05/18/98, Vol. 18 Issue 46, p4
Reports that Louisiana's House of Representatives voted to set the state tax rate on racetrack slot machine revenue at 15 percent after payments to purse supplements. Comments from opponents of the move to allow slot machines on racetracks; Need for voters in Orleans Parish to approve the...
- Send in the one-arm bandits. Pascoe, Michael // Bulletin with Newsweek;12/10/96, Vol. 116 Issue 6050, p54
Opinion. Argues against the use of slot machines in the state of New South Wales in Australia. The idea that the machines bring in needed revenues; Where they would be placed; The tongue-in-cheek suggestion that Rwanda should import slot machines; Other musings.