- The Effects of Population Density on Juvenile Growth Rate in White-Tailed Deer. Barr, Brannon; Wolverton, Steve // Environmental Management;Oct2014, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p897
Animal body size is driven by habitat quality, food availability, and nutrition. Adult size can relate to birth weight, to length of the ontogenetic growth period, and/or to the rate of growth. Data requirements are high for studying these growth mechanisms, but large datasets exist for some...
- Consumption of whole cottonseed by white-tailed deer and nontarget species. TAYLOR, BENJAMIN D.; LYONS, EDDIE K.; ROLLINS, DALE; SCOTT, CODY B.; HUSTON, JAMES E.; TAYLOR, CHARLES A. // Human-Wildlife Interactions;Spring2013, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p99
The article presents a study on the consumption rates of whole cottonseed by white-tailed deer, Odocoileus virginianus, raccoons and feral pigs in captivity in Texas. The study uses a motion-triggered video camera system in monitoring the feeding behaviors and species visitation in the field. It...
- Swampland Stags. Butz, Bob // Outdoor Life;Sep2007, Vol. 214 Issue 8, pHB24
The article focuses on sika deer which can be found in the marshes and forested wetlands of Maryland. While biologists have discovered that competition for habitat and food among whitetails and sikas is minimal, in some places whitetails and sikas can be found using the same trails and food...
- FIVE LAST-MINUTE PLOTS. WARNER, DARREN // Outdoor Life;Sep2012, Vol. 219 Issue 8, pH15
The article suggests foods which can be used for whitetail deer hunting.
- Make A DIFFERENCE. Bartylla, Steve // Bowhunter;2005 Whitetail Special, p125
Presents tips for habitat improvement by enhancing the native plant species for whitetails.
- Whitetails up & down. Curtis, Sam // Field & Stream;Mar1994, Vol. 98 Issue 11, p77
Focuses on stream habitats of whitetail deer. Provision of food and opportunities for escape; Expanding and contracting nature of whitetail dispersal as it responds to local highs and lows in deer population; Narrow tributary habitats as ideal spots to hunt deer when whitetail populations are...
- A week in the life of a BUCK. Bestul, Scott // Field & Stream;Oct2001, Vol. 106 Issue 6, p78
Details the behavior and habitation of a whitetail deer. Description of the growth of a buck; Activities at night; Encounter between the old buck and a young doe.
- Physiological correlates of neonatal mortality in an... Sams, Michael G.; Lochmiller, Robert L. // Journal of Mammalogy;Feb96, Vol. 77 Issue 1, p179
Examines the relationship of development, immunocompetence and tick burdens to the neonatal morality in the overpopulated herd of the white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus). When the examination was done; Results of the examination.
- Survival of the Fittest. Ozoga, John J. // Outdoor Life;Feb2000, Vol. 205 Issue 1, p24
Presents a brief explanation on the survival traits of the whitetail deer during winter. How they respond to cold winds and low temperature; Physiological changes the deers undergoes; Diet of the animals; When do the whitetail's metabolism returns.