Labor of Love
- A Perfect Hull. Decker, John // Field & Stream;Apr2001, Vol. 105 Issue 12, p36
Offers advice on how to repair modern canoes.
- Ask the experts. Smith, Michael A.; Caprio, Dennis // Yachting;May98, Vol. 183 Issue 5, p28
Provides tips on fixing fiberglass deck. Replacing the laminate skin; Checking deck fittings.
- 'Glass Act. Joyce, Gary P. // Boating World;Feb2005, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p96
Provides techniques in repairing a boat's fiberglass. Tools needed in working on small projects with glass; Equipment to be used to prevent safety and health risks; Procedures for mixing the catalyst and resin. INSET: TERMINOLOGY.
- Gel coat glamour. Pfund, Bruce // Boating;May98, Vol. 71 Issue 5, p84
Addresses several questions on the maintenance of a fiberglass boat's gel coat skin. Information on gel coat repair kits sold in marine supply stores; How to color match a gel coating; Information on gel coat catalization.
- TALKIN' BOATS. ADEY, JOHN; Landry, Chris // Soundings: Real Boats, Real Boaters;Jul2014, Vol. 51 Issue 11, p22
An interview with John Adey, president of the nonprofit American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC), is presented. Topics discussed include proper training to boaters being the most overlooked safety aspect in boating, increased initial cost and maintenance cost of boats and need of increased...
- Gadgets & gilhickies. Wheeler, Dave; Delabio, Chuck // Yachting;Nov97, Vol. 182 Issue 5, p48
Presents solutions to boating problems. Includes keeping the dog's water dish in place; Temporary repair for the ferrule joining two parts of a fishing rod; Keelhauling a transducer.
- Power trip. Frederiksen, Peter // Yachting;Feb98, Vol. 183 Issue 2, p44
Presents guidelines in repowering of boats. Budget allocation; Replacement of old engines; Upgrading of the electrical system.
- Prescription for busted boats and motors. Stearns, B. // Field & Stream;Mar1991, Vol. 95 Issue 11, p124
Gives advice on products and procedures to use to make metallic and fiberglass repairs, fix outboard engines and cover up a gash in a boat's gel coat.
- Prepping for painting. // Yachting;Apr84, Vol. 166 Issue 4, p98
No matter what surface, its proper preparation is the most important procedure in assuring the success of a new coating. General painting and varnishing tips. Preparing fiberglass by sanding. Prepping the gel without sanding. INSET: on common problems and their causes..