California's Davis Signs Gaming Pact
- Governor's Tough Act: Selling Tribes on New Gaming Deals. Graves, Brad // San Diego Business Journal;4/7/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 14, p3
Reports on California Governor Gray Davis' efforts to negotiate gaming deals with Indian tribe casino operators. Average annual revenues of Indian casinos; Davis' arguments that Indian gaming revenues could help prop up the state budget.
- Share the Wealth. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;8/15/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31700, p31
Reports on the approval of a legislation by California governor Gray Davis that allows Indian tribes to get funds from tribes with casinos. Potential benefits of the funds to be received by the Indian tribes.
- California governor, tribes reach gambling pact; bonds could follow soon. Figler, Andrea // Bond Buyer;09/14/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30725, p32
Reports on the chances that California's Native American tribes will sell bonds backed by gambling revenues. Agreement signed between the Native Americans and Governor Gray Davis; Ruling of the California Supreme Court on tribal slot machines.
- Hard-liners ready for compromise. McKee, Jamie // Casino Journal;Apr2003, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p4
Assesses the state of Indian gaming in California as of April 2003. Estimates on gaming revenues in a year; Contribution of the industry to the state economy; Recognition and regulation of the industry; Comments on the approach adopted by Governor Gray Davis to tribal gaming.
- Calif. Leaders Cut Deal With Teachers on Raising Pay. Keller, Bess // Education Week;05/17/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 36, p22
Deals with the agreement between California teachers and Governor Gray Davis and other legislative leaders that the state will provide school districts budget which will be used for teacher pay raises. Comments from Barbara E. Kerr, vice president of the California Teachers Association;...
- The bet's on: Can casinos back bonds? Figler, Andrea // Bond Buyer;05/10/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30637, p1
Focuses on the market potential of tribal bonds backed by casino revenues that would aid Native Americans in California. Potential volume for the bond securities; Influence of Democratic Governor Gray Davis' election on the development of the market niche; Legislation authorizing Indians to run...
- Conflict of Interest Could Overturn California Electricity Contracts. Nichols, Hans S. // Insight on the News;5/27/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 19, p6
Focuses on the controversy associated with the electricity contracts that have been negotiated in California during the power crisis in 2001. Amount of the bond issue raised by California Governor Gray Davis to purchase electricity on the spot-market; Charges filed by Republicans in Sacramento,...
- Outgoing California Governor Signs Equal Benefits Measure. Wright, Ellen // Lesbian News;Nov2003, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p16
On Sunday, October 12, 2003 recently recalled Governor of California Gray Davis signed Assembly Bill 17, a groundbreaking equal benefits domestic partner bill. The measure will prohibit the state from entering into contracts for goods and services totaling more than $100,000 with businesses that...
- Regulatory newsmakers. // Casino Journal;Oct2003, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p6
Presents updates on the casino industry in the U.S. as of October 2003. Figures released by Illinois Gaming Board on the gaming revenue; Results of a "Los Angeles Times" poll on the planned recall of California Governor Gray Davis; Plans of Memphis Mayor Willie Herenton for casino gambling in...