Preface (Hot Topic: Medicinal Strategies in the Treatment of Obesity Guest Editor: Akio Inui)
- OBESITY TREATMENTS. Haslam, David // Pulse;10/31/2007, Vol. 67 Issue 39, p40
The author discusses several information on treatments for obesity. The author talks about the therapeutics that can be applied in alleviating corpulence. He includes the historical background for obesity treatment including mercury, arsenic, and strychnine. At the same time, he also cites the...
- How Accurate Are Systems that Evaluate Fatness in Teens? // Eating Disorders Review;Jan/Feb2005, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p5
Reports on the use of body mass index (BMI) for the classification of adult overweight and obesity. Limitation on the use of BMI among children; Proposal on the recommendation of a separate international classification systems to measure childhood and adolescent obesity; Purpose of the...
- Combating Obesity Among Lower-Income Patients. // Eating Disorders Review;Jan/Feb2005, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p7
Reports on the rise on epidemic of obesity among low-income and minority populations in the U.S. Efficacy of partial meal replacement method to low-income obese patients; Goal of the meal replacement method; Secret for the success of the partial meal method program.
- Chapter 1: What's Obesity All About? An Overview. Hunter, William // When Dieting Isn't Enough: Medications & Surgeries for Weight Lo;2005, p9
This article provides an overview of obesity. As is the case with many medical conditions, obesity has a medical definition based on research. Doctors need these definitions in order to decide which treatments are appropriate. Among the methods doctors commonly use for diagnosing obesity is a...
- Obesity: a Review of Current Perspectives. // Current Medical Literature: GH & Growth Factors;2003, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p53
Focuses on obesity perspectives. Definition; Prevalence; Sex prevalence; Co-morbidities; Pathophysiology; Genetic factors; Treatment; Surgical considerations.
- CHILDHOOD OBESITY ON THE RISE. Reece, Beth // Soldiers;Nov2003, Vol. 58 Issue 11, p39
Reports on the incidence of obesity in the United States. Prevalence of obesity; Major causes of obesity; Health hazards associated with obesity.
- Trials Set for Eli Lilly's Five Obesity Compounds. Tolchin, Elizabeth // Drug Discovery & Development;Jun2004, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p22
Provides information on the clinical trial candidates of Eli Lilly & Co. in Indianapolis for treatment of obesity. Development of the drugs by the company; Efficacy of the drugs; Use of animal models for testing the drugs; Aim for the drugs.
- Interaction of obesity, metabolic syndrome and Framingham risk on steatohepatitis among healthy Taiwanese: population-based nested case-control study. Kuo-Liong Chien; Hsiu-Ching Hsu; Chia-Lun Chao; Bai-Chin Lee; Ming-Fong Chen; Yuan-Teh Lee // Cardiovascular Diabetology;2006, Vol. 5, p12
Background: There have been scant reports on the cumulative effects of atherosclerotic risk factors on steatohepatitis. Methods: We defined cases of steatohepatitis (n = 124) from one health examination center at National Taiwan University Hospital from January to December 2002. We selected...
- Examination Questions. // PT: Magazine of Physical Therapy;Jun2004, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p99
Presents a list of questions on obesity and health. Limitation in using the body mass index; Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the U.S.; Factors influencing the development of obesity.