A Few Thoughts About Gun Culture
- More Ammunition For Gun Advocates. Schneider, William // National Journal;5/23/2009, p13
The article reports on the U.S. Senate vote to allow visitors to national parks to carry concealed weapons. The vote caused disappointment among supporters of the ban on assault weapons in the country. Gun store operators and ammunition dealer confirmed an increase in gun sales as well as...
- A modest proposal to rein in American gun violence. Masson, Doug // Indianapolis Business Journal;11/9/2015, Vol. 36 Issue 37, p4C
The author talks about the problem on gun violence in the U.S. Topics covered include the need for government regulation to address the problems associated with firearms, the proposal for an insurance regime for firearms that would feature basic revenue streams and the advantage of internalizing...
- THE IMPRECISE DRAFTSMANSHIP OF THE LAUTENBERG AMENDMENT AND THE RESULTING PROBLEMS FOR THE JUDICIARY. SCHNEIDER, MELANIE C. // Columbia Journal of Gender & Law;2008, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p505
The article discusses the unclear statutory language of the Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban (or Lautenberg Amendment), added in 1996 to the U.S. Gun Control Act, and the consequent difficulty courts have had in interpreting the law. The purpose of the amendment was to prohibit anyone...
- America's Biggest National Security Threats Are at Home, Not Abroad. Cohen, Michael A. // World Politics Review (Selective Content);6/24/15, p1
The author asserts that the biggest threats to U.S. national security are found at home and not from other countries or overseas terrorists. Topics discussed include the mass shooting of African-American churchgoers in Charleston, South Carolina, the alleged lack of impact of gun violence on the...
- Why Jay Carney's Beard Freaked Everyone Out. Graves, Lucia; Koren, Marina; Oliphant, James // National Journal;1/11/2014, p16
The article comments on the failure of the U.S. Congress to produce laws related to gun restrictions. Topics covered include the need for background checks for gun shows, the case of Jared Lee Loughner who shot U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords and the need for strengthening gun rules. Also...
- The futility of gun control. Brown, Susan Stamper // Ellis County Press;8/9/2012, Vol. 21 Issue 18, p3
The author reflects on the ineffectuality of the gun control laws in the U.S., asserting that they are based on the erroneous assumption that criminals will obey the law leaving law-abiding citizens in danger.
- Gun control not dormant any longer. Lillis, Mike // Hill;3/15/2011, Vol. 18 Issue 35, p1
The article reports on the debate concerning rules for gun control in the U.S.
- TRUE LIES: THE SAD REALITY OF GUN CONTROL. FEIRSTEIN, BRUCE // Vanity Fair;Jun2013, Issue 634, p86
The article offers information on the sad reality of gun control in the U.S. in 2013.
- Is U.S. capable of finding common ground on reducing gun violence? // Inside Tucson Business;1/10/2014, Vol. 23 Issue 30, p14
The author reflects on the need for the U.S. government to find some common ground on reducing gun violence.