Masters of Diversion: It Pays to Divert
- City's managed competition model tops private sector. Shapard, Rob // World Wastes;Jun97, Vol. 40 Issue 6, p7
Reports that the solid waste division of Chesapeake, Virginia's public works department will begin collecting refuse, yard waste and bulky waste four days a week in the city's Western Branch area. Assignment description; Effort to determine the most economical and efficient collection method;...
- The art of the practical. Knapp, Bill // World Wastes;Jul97, Vol. 40 Issue 7, p48
Discusses community participation in solid waste management in the United States. Determination of what kind of program will be affordable and acceptable; Basic collection methods used in recycling programs; Calculation of the cost of collection.
- Chomp on this. Wolpin, Bill // World Wastes;Aug97, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p4
Editorial. Comments on the practice of several areas in the United States of selling their solid waste assets. Cost of monitoring inactive landfills; Difficulties experienced by waste industry in securing capital.
- Weigh up and pay up. Fickes, Michael // World Wastes;Aug97, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p26
Details the implementation of charge-by-weight billing systems by municipalities and solid waste companies in Oakland Park, Florida. Factors attributed to the high cost of waste disposal; Proposal of the billing system by Greg Gomez, manager of the municipal services division; Financial...
- Wisconsin achieves diversion goals. // World Wastes;Mar1998, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p12
Details findings of a study by Franklin Associates for the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources which shows the success of the state's efforts to divert municipal solid waste (MSW) from disposal. Factors that contributed to the reduction in the quantity of collected yard trimmings;...
- Meeting the challenge, competing to win. Gardner, Robert B.; Blakeley, Fred // World Wastes;Mar1998, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p65
Details Florida counties of Desoto and Seminole's privatization of their solid waste management operations. Desoto's construction of a Class 1 landfill cell and made improvements to its leachate storage facilities; Functions of the Seminole County Solid Waste Management Department (SCSWD);...
- Information is the Main Course at a Landfill Lunch. MacLeod, Teren // World Wastes;Sep98, Vol. 41 Issue 9, p8
Presents tips for solid waste managers on how to communicate with their customers. Building of good media relations and dispelling myths; Communication of facts as they relate to individuals; Creation of diverse and interactive channels for sharing information.
- A thorough waste of money, time and effort. // Builders Merchants Journal;Nov/Dec96, p15
Reports on the notable absence of the construction industry in an organization that focuses on the packaging of waste. Name of the organization; Disadvantages of the organization's aims; Concerns expressed by the mainstream packaging industry.
- Biologic Wann, David // Environmental Action;Nov/Dec1988, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p20
No abstract available.