OF BILINGUALISM AND BRAVERY
- Press 1 For English, 2 For Spanish. Remmers, Jerry // Moderate Voice;1/ 1/2010, p9
The article presents the author's views on the use of automated phone trees among companies which offers other languages other than English when making calls. The author is particular on the campaigns of former Presidential candidate Pat Buchanon through his talk shows which indicated that no...
- MORE THAN WORDS. Enright, Allison // Marketing News;9/15/2008, Vol. 42 Issue 15, p28
The article presents advice and information for marketers who are attempting to market products or services to a bilingual market segment. A discussion of the impact that choosing the appropriate language to market a product can have on a target audience, and of the importance of giving members...
- Illinois-Based Bank Opens Bilingual Branch... Inside a Public Library. Marra, Jeanne C. // Bridges (Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis);Fall2015, p1
The article discusses the opening of a full-service bilingual banking center by TheBANK of Edwardsville (TheBANK) at the Fairmont City Library, Illinois.
- Turn Potential Members Into Real Members At PALS. Matz, Debbie // Credit Union Journal;2/28/2005, Vol. 9 Issue 8, p56
Focuses on the implementation of the initiative Partnering and Leadership Successes in the U.S. Encouragement of the credit unions to adopt undeserved areas; Expansion of the fields of membership; Recruitment of bilingual staff from different countries who can relate to immigrants' experiences;...
- CHISMES. // Caribbean Business;9/6/2007, Vol. 35 Issue 35, p40
The article presents several issues in Puerto Rico. The high operating costs of the region is the main reason that a manager close its manufacturing plant. Workers at the Sheraton Hotel installed zinc panels and barbed wire around the base of their construction cranes to avoid possible takeover...
- ALA! LINGUISTIC INNOVATION AND THE BLENDING OF CULTURES ON THE SOUTH TEXAS BORDER. De García, Kati Pletsch // Southwest Journal of Linguistics;2008, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p1
The linguistic situation on the United States/Mexican border in Laredo, Texas illustrates the complex nature of a bilingual community. Border residents are faced with the task of negotiating their identity every time they engage in discourse. Language alternation, i.e. TexMex, is a visible...
- CHINA MEDIA REPORT OVERSEAS. // China Media Report Overseas;Apr2010, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p115
The article discusses the China Media Report Overseas journal in co-operation of China Media Research. The China Media Report Overseas is an English-Chinese journal to report globally the results of Chinese media and communication research. It lists the publication schedule, contributors, kinds...
- Tongue in check. Faltermayer, Charlotte; Horowitz, Janice M. // Time;4/29/1996, Vol. 147 Issue 18, p30
Provides a chart of some world leaders who can speak in more than one language. The monolinguists, such as Russian President Boris Yeltsin and British Prime Minister John Major, being at the mercy of interpreters, even for small talk.
- Introduction. MAREEL, SAMUEL; SCHOENAERS, DIRK // Queeste;2015, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p1
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses the multilingual culture in the late medieval and early modern Low Countries and several essays within the issue including "A Tale of Two Tongues: The Interplay of Dutch and French in the Literary Culture of the Low Countries."