Nature and severity of physical harm caused by child abuse and neglect: results from the Canadian Incidence Study
- NO ONE TO COMPLAIN TO. // Community Care;1/15/2004, Issue 1505, p5
Comments on the lack of officers appointed by local authorities in England and Wales who are dedicated to dealing with complaints from abused children. Overview of the recommendations given by Sir Ronald Waterhouse regarding the abuse of children in north Wales children's homes in 2000;...
- Child abuse. Riordon, Michael // Body Politic;Aug78, Issue 45, p10
Presents an article about a child abuse experience. Publications considered outstanding by or about gay people as of August 1978; Importance of separating personal feelings from professional standards; Factors that drive many children into mental collapse.
- Enabling Public Child Welfare Agencies to Promote Family Preservation. Pelton, Leroy H. // Social Work;Jul93, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p491
The article discusses about welfare agencies that has taken the tasks of promoting the family preservation by enabling public child. During the past three decades, increasingly wider spheres of child welfare problems, many of which are related to poverty, have been characterized as child abuse...
- Child Abuse and Society's Response. Kocol, Cleo // Humanist;Sep/Oct88, Vol. 48 Issue 5, p39
Discusses child abuse and society's response. Cites four cases of child abuse and the questions they raise; Child abuse laws that did not exist prior to 1874 in the United States; Question of how much evidence is needed; Need for abuse prevention programs.
- Queens Library Tackles Child Abuse. Cheatham, Bertha M.; Cohen, Andrew // School Library Journal;Nov89, Vol. 35 Issue 15, p12
Discusses the efforts of the Queens Borough Public Library in Jamaica, New York to offer programs that educate children about child abuse. Consideration of a series of programs run by the Child Abuse Prevention Program (CAPP); Use of puppets to demonstrate actions of physical and sexual abuse;...
- Studying child abuse and neglect in Canada: We are just at the beginning. Ward, Michelle G.K.; Bennett, Susan // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;10/28/2003, Vol. 169 Issue 9, p919
Presents a study on the physical harm associated with child maltreatment in Canada. Categories of maltreatment; Percentage of maltreatment cases with physical harm; Rate of physical harm to children exposed to domestic violence.
- The Price of Privacy in the Social Dynamics of Child Abuse. Garbarino, James // Child Welfare;Nov77, Vol. 56 Issue 9, p565
Under certain conditions, family isolation serves as the catalytic agent for child abuse. Privacy that excludes intrusive kinship and neighborhood networks can be a danger to children.
- Paternal Alcohol Abuse: Relationship Between Child Adjustment, Parental Characteristics, and Family Functioning. Haugland, Bente Storm Mowatt // Child Psychiatry & Human Development;Winter2003, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p127
This study examines possible risk factors associated with child adjustment in a sample of children with alcohol abusing fathers in Norway (N = 37). Factors included are socio-economic status, severity of the fathers' alcohol abuse, parental psychological problems, and family functioning....
- The Late-Life Psychological Effects of Childhood Abuse. Davies, Stephen // Current Medical Literature: Pediatrics;2003, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p61
Comments on an article about the late-life psychological effects of childhood abuse. Stages of abusive and neglectful childhood experiences; Effects of abuse on adults; Connection between childhood abuse and psychological difficulty.