- Mailbox. Taylor, John; Roberts, Katherine; Lomertin, Edna // Harrowsmith Country Life (11908416);Oct2010, Vol. 34 Issue 214, p8
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues including "My Own Personal Arbour Day" in the June 2010 issue, "Hummers at the Feeder" in the August 2010 issue, and a reader sharing her experience of buying a Canadien mare from the Apple Valley Farms in...
- Letters. Broderick, Stephen H.; Gavette, Floyd; Weaver, Kenny // American Forests;Autumn2006, Vol. 112 Issue 3, p2
Several letters to the editor are presented in response to articles in previous issues including one on sugaring in Virginia, another on benefits of trees and one on sugar maple trees.
- Letters. Marsh, Michael; Sharpe, William E.; Driscoll, Charles T.; Lawrence, Gregory B.; Bulger, Arthur J.; Butler, Thomas J.; Cronan, Christopher S.; Eagar, Christopher; Lambert, Kathleen F.; Likens, Gene E.; Stoddard, John L.; Weathers, Kathleen C. // BioScience;Jan2002, Vol. 52 Issue 1, p4
Presents letters to the editor relating to past articles in 'BioScience.' Steps needed to prevent ill-considered releases of genetically-modified organisms; Discussion of the effect of acid deposition on the decline in Pennsylvania's sugar maple trees.
- Pear thrips jeopardize sugaring. // Country Journal;Nov88, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p15
Discusses the damaging effect that pear thrips have on sugar maples. Suggests what can be done about it.
- Maple watch: The jury is still out. Lanken, Dane // Canadian Geographic;Nov/Dec92, Vol. 112 Issue 6, p12
Announces the release of a Forestry Canada and US Forest Service report which shows a slight improvement in the health of sugar maples in northeastern North America. `Sugar Maple Crown Conditions Improve Between 1988 and 1990'; How acid rain has been blamed for abnormal levels of death and...
- The mystery of the run. Archibald, Roger // American Forests;Mar/Apr94, Vol. 100 Issue 3/4, p30
Discusses the reasons for the sugar maple's run. Maples' production of sugar; High sugar content of sugar maple's sap; Reason for the maple's rapid sugar release; Chemical phenomena involved the run.
- Sugar maple comeback. // American Forests;Nov/Dec92, Vol. 98 Issue 11/12, p47
Considers the results of three independent surveys which show that the sugar maple is doing well on a regional basis. The increase of the tree in the northeastern US; Localized problems caused by insects, pathogens, mismanagement, weather conditions and poor growing conditions for sugar maples;...
- Make mine trees, please. // Flower & Garden;Nov92, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p3
Editorial. Praises the sugar maple for its symmetry and blazing autumn colors. Also thanks former first lady Lady Bird Johnson for her dedication to wildflowers. Sugar maple candy and maple syrup; Need to experience sugar maples in their autumn glory.
- Finding grain figure in maples. // Forest Products Journal;Jan1997, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p16
Discusses the disadvantages of the identification of a valuable birdseye figure in sugar maples. Damage on the tree; Inaccuracy of the distribution of figuration in the tree.