55 Years Ago in the CONSERVATIONIST
- Wildlife. Lane, Kathryn // Germany: The Land;2001, p28
This article presents an overview of German wildlife. Brown bears and wolves once roamed Germany's forests. These animals are no longer found in the country. Over time, the vast forests which they needed to survive became smaller as trees were chopped down and cities built in their place. Now,...
- Growth and reproductive performance of sambar deer in Sabal Forest Reserve of Sarawak, Malaysia. Dahlan, Ismail; Dawend, Jiwan // Tropical Animal Health & Production;Oct2013, Vol. 45 Issue 7, p1469
We examined the growth, reproduction, rutting behavior, and health status of sambar deer ( Cervus unicolor brookei) in secondary Acacia mangium plantation. The data were collected over 11 years from a breeding herd of 21 stags and 33 hinds in Sabal Forest Reserve, Sarawak, Malaysia. Brody's...
- The first record of Albino Chital (Axis axis) in Satkosia Tiger Reserve, Odisha. Pradhan, Rudra Narayan; Behera, Pandab; Singh, L. A. K. // ZOOs' Print;Jun2014, Vol. 29 Issue 6, p15
The article presents information on an albino fawn of Chital deer, also called Axis axis, found in Satkosia Tiger Reserve, Odisha, India, on June 5, 2014. The fawn was present in a herd of 13 normal spot deer that included seven adult females, three adult males, and three normal fawns. The...
- CREATIVE Force. Owens, John // Popular Photography;Jun2009, Vol. 73 Issue 6, p10
The author presents the 365-day assignment of photographer Edward Crim as a recommended project in order to become a better photographer. Crim's project involves shooting the St. Louis Forest Park in Missouri everyday for one year. Among the subjects Crim photographs include classical...
- WE SEE YOU. // Mother Earth News;Jun/Jul2009, Issue 234, p14
Photographs are presented which include West Chichagof-Yakobi Island Wilderness in southeast Alaska, Clark Fork River in Montana, and Coconino National Forest in Arizona.
- COLORFUL WALLPAPER. Nagreen, Anna; Nagreen, Derek // Mountain Bike Action;Feb2014, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p26
A photograph depicting DuPont State Forest is presented.
- Dawn's early light. Tunney, Carolyn // Cortlandt Forum;11/25/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 11, p1
Presents a photograph of Mount Jardine Bear River Range and Wasatch-Cache National Forest in northern Utah.
- In High Demand. Profous, George // New York State Conservationist;Feb2007, Vol. 61 Issue 4, p4
The article offers information on the Stewart State Forest in New Paltz, New York. The forest conjures up many different images for those individuals who have enjoyed its unique environment. Grassland-nesting birds, turtles and snakes that favor open fields, and salamanders that require small...
- Effects of 13-year fencing on browsing by sika deer on seedlings on Mt. Ohdaigahara, central Japan. Kumar, Shalini; Takeda, Akimasa; Shibata, Ei'ichi // Journal of Forest Research;Oct2006, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p337
We examined the effects of fencing on deer browsing on seedlings 13 years after the building the experimental fence on Mt. Ohdaigahara, central Japan, where the sika deer ( Cervus nippon) population is high. There was no difference in the species number of seedlings between 1991 and 2004. The...