Iron deficiencyâ€”should it be investigated?
- Gastroduodenal. // Gut;Jul2012 Supplement, Vol. 61, pA360
The article presents abstracts on medical topics of Great Britain which include the hospitalization of patients with upper gastrointestinal bleeding, the resection of liver in metastatic gastrointestinal stromal tumor and the assessment of iron deficiency anaemia.
- Should we lower the dose of iron when treating anaemia in pregnancy? A randomized doseâ€“response trial. Zhou, S. J.; Gibson, R. A.; Crowther, C. A.; Makrides, M. // European Journal of Clinical Nutrition;Feb2009, Vol. 63 Issue 2, p183
Background/Objectives:To compare the efficacy and side effects of low-dose vs high-dose iron supplements to correct anaemia in pregnancy.Subjects/Methods:One hundred and eighty women with anaemia (haemoglobin <110 g lâˆ’1) in mid-pregnancy. The women were randomly allocated to 20; 40 or 80...
- Anemia and digestive diseases: An update for the clinician. Gomollón, Fernando; Gisbert, Javier P. // World Journal of Gastroenterology;10/7/2009, Vol. 15 Issue 37, p4615
Anemia and iron deficiency are so common in digestive diseases that often are underestimated and undertreated. Our goal is to review from classification to treatment of the diverse types of anemias in different digestive diseases to update our knowledge on diagnosis and treatment. With the goal...
- A guide to diagnosis of iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia in digestive diseases. Bermejo, Fernando; García-López, Santiago; Buechler, Christa // World Journal of Gastroenterology;10/7/2009, Vol. 15 Issue 37, p4638
Iron deficiency (ID), with or without anemia, is often caused by digestive diseases and should always be investigated, except in very specific situations, as its causes could be serious diseases, such as cancer. Diagnosis of ID is not always easy. Low serum levels of ferritin or transferrin...
- Haem iron intake in 12-36 month old children depleted in iron: Case-control study. Mira, Michael; Alperstein, Garth // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);4/6/96, Vol. 312 Issue 7035, p881
Reports on a case-control study in Sydney, New South Wales concerning heme iron intake in 12 to 36 month old children depleted in iron. Objectives of the study; Research design; Subjects; Outcome measures; Indications that a lower heme iron intake is a major risk factor for iron depletion; Risk...
- A reason to eat steak. Bauman, Alisa // Runner's World;Jul98, Vol. 33 Issue 7, p28
Cites the adverse health effects of mild iron depletion, according to two Cornell University studies. Recommended food sources of iron.
- Iron deficiency in adolescents. Armstrong, Paul L. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);2/25/89, Vol. 298 Issue 6672, p499
Examines the prevalence of iron deficiency among teenagers in Great Britain. Need for community survey to assess the prevalence of the disease; Use of Becton Dickinson radioimmunoassay in determining serum ferritin concentration; Comparison between the ferritin concentration in men and women.
- sideropenia. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p2125
A definition of the medical term "sideropenia," which refers to iron deficiency in the blood, is presented.
- asiderosis. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p196
A definition of the term "asiderosis," which refers to deficiency of iron reserve in the body, is presented.