Recommendations for screening and prevention of tuberculosis in patients with HIV and for screening for HIV in patients with tuberculosis and their contacts
- 1999 USPHS/IDSA Guidelines for the Prevention of Opportunistic Infections in Persons... // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;8/20/1999 Supplement RR-10, Vol. 48 Issue 32, p1
Presents the 1999 United States Public Health Service/Infectious Diseases Society of America guidelines for the prevention of opportunistic infections in persons infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. Includes guidelines for the prevention of pneumonia, encephalitis, cryptosporidiosis,...
- Timing of antiretroviral therapy and regimen for HIV-infected patients with tuberculosis: the effect of revised HIV guidelines in Malawi. Tweya, Hannock; Ben-Smith, Anne; Kalulu, Mike; Jahn, Andreas; Ng'ambi, Wingston; Mkandawire, Elizabeth; Gabriel, Layout; Phiri, Sam // BMC Public Health;2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p1
Background In July 2011, the Malawi national HIV program implemented the integrated antiretroviral therapy (ART) and prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) guidelines. Among the principle goals of the guidelines were increasing ART uptake among TB/HIV co-infected patients and...
- Agenda. // Advocate;7/11/95, Issue 685, p12
States that tuberculosis has become the leading killer of HIV-positive people worldwide, according to the World Health Organization.
- When a 5-mm spot spells trouble. Marrazzo, Jeanne M. // Cortlandt Forum;06/25/99, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p178
Describes a case of an HIV-infected 32-year-old male patient whose tuberculin skin test was found to be reactive. HIV-infected persons' risk for tuberculosis; Follow-up for a positive purified protein derivative; Protocols for prevention.
- Tuberculosis Outbreak in a Housing Unit for Human Immunodeficiency Virus--Infected Patients in a Correctional Facility: Transmission Risk Factors and Effective Outbreak Control. Mohle-Boetani, Janet C.; Miguelino, Vanessa; Dewsnup, Daniel H.; Desmond, Edward; Horowitz, Evalyn; Waterman, Stephen H.; Bick, Joseph // Clinical Infectious Diseases;3/1/2002, Vol. 34 Issue 5, p668
Presents a case-control study which compared inmate case patients infected with an outbreak strain of tuberculosis (TB) with inmates who resided in the HIV unit at California state prison A in November 1995. Risk factors for in-prison transmission of TB; Intervention guidelines for the...
- HIV associated tuberculosis. Coker, Richard; Miller, Rob // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);06/28/97, Vol. 314 Issue 7098, p1847
Editorial. Focuses on approaches to control and prevent tuberculosis in HIV infected persons. Estimated number of HIV infected persons who are co-infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis; Improvement of detection of nosocomial spread; Resistance to isoniazid and rifampicin of primary isolates.
- Missed Opportunities for Prevention of Tuberculosis Among Persons With HIV Infection--Selected Locations, United States, 1996-1997. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;8/4/2000, Vol. 49 Issue 30, p685
Presents information on a study which examined the clinic records of tuberculosis (TB) programs to determine whether these programs used recommended practices to manage HIV-positive persons exposed to TB. Risks for TB infection; Methodology of the study; Results and discussion.
- HIV-Related Tuberculosis in a Transgender Network- Baltimore, Maryland, and New York City Area, 1998-2000. Sterling, T.R.; Stanley, R.L.; Brubach, G.A.; Madison, A.; Harrington, S.; Bishai, W.R.; Chiasson, R.E.; Betz-Thomas, J.; Bur, S.; Baruch, N.; Benjamin, G.C.; Driver, C.R.; Kreiswirth, B. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;5/17/2000, Vol. 283 Issue 19, p2515
Describes the public health investigation of patients in a transgender network with HIV-related tuberculosis. Information on the patients; Connections between the patients in different cities in the United States; Editorial note from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Progressive drug licensing: An opportunity to achieve transparency and accountability? Wright, James M. // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;6/19/2007, Vol. 176 Issue 13, p1848
The article presents the author's view about the transparency and accountability of Health Canada's Progressive Licensing Framework in Canada. He states that the system frequently does not adequately protect the public from serious adverse of drug events. He offers suggestions for potential...