USS Chafee, Arriving: The Committee and the Commissioning
- COTS to frame new surface warship architectures. McAuliffe, Amy // Military & Aerospace Electronics;Nov95, Vol. 6 Issue 11, p1
Reports that Navy designers are drafting concepts for the United States Navy's surface warship SC-21. Idea for computing and communications architecture; Projected use of SC-21.
- Really Put Humans First. Pirie Jr., Robert // U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings;Jul2002, Vol. 128 Issue 7, p104
Calls on the U.S. Navy to integrate human engineering in the design and construction of its warships as of July 2002. Background on previous human engineering-based programs of the U.S. Navy; U.S. Navy's preoccupation with cost-cutting and budget concerns.
- Navy to use trade-tower steel in new warship. // Industrial Maintenance & Plant Operation;Feb2003, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p6
Reports on plans of the U.S. Navy to use the steel from the World Trade Center wreckage in a warship.
- Raytheon Awarded Navy PNT Contract. // GPS World;Sep2011, Vol. 22 Issue 9, p28
The article reports that Raytheon Co. has been awarded with a contract to develop Global Positioning System (GPS)-based Positioning, Navigation, and Timing Service (GPNTS) program for the U.S. Navy surface and subsurface platforms. It maintains that GPNTS supports mission-critical real-time PNT...
- Collarless Construction Studied for Surface Ship Combatants. // Welding Journal;Aug2005, Vol. 84 Issue 8, p65
Reports on the U.S. Navy Joining Center's (NJC) participation in a project to develop collarless construction techniques for surface shipbuilders in support of DD(X) system design. Aim to determine the optimal collarless construction method to decrease fabrication costs and weight of the DD(X);...
- Delay in DD 21 Downselect; Gold Team Reveals Proposal. // Sea Power;Apr2001, Vol. 44 Issue 4, p46
Reports on the decision of DD 21 Gold Team to release some details of its proposed design for the DD 21 Zumwalt-class land-attack destroyers. Remarks of the United States Navy on the proposed design; Key features of the destroyers; Difference between the design of the destroyer and the Arleigh...
- In the shipyard, everyone's a winner. Freedberg Jr., Sydney J. // National Journal;7/04/98, Vol. 30 Issue 27, p1576
Focuses on the program of the United States Navy to build and design its destroyers for the 21st century. Official in-charge of the program; Companies that will build and design the destroyers; Information on the issues surrounding the program.
- Floating designs. Giusti, Michael // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);5/26/2003, Vol. 23 Issue 48, p29
Reports on the competition among shipyards for the U.S. Navy's new littoral combat ship design. Specialization of the ship; Competition of Textron and Ocean Technical Services Inc. for production contracts for U.S. Coast Guard's next-generation mid-sized utility boat; Route of operation of the...
- Navy Completes Test of LCS Surface Module. McCarthy, Mike // Defense Daily;6/28/2012, Vol. 254 Issue 63, p5
The article reports that the U.S. Navy has completed the first stage of development testing for the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) program following a demonstration of the MK 46 gun system and other weapons. The test was done on the USS Freedom (LCS-1) on Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA). The Navy...