House Bill Seeks to Simplify Collection of Sales, Use Taxes
- A taxing issue. Soule, Alexander // Fairfield County Business Journal;6/6/2011, Vol. 47 Issue 23, p19
The article reports on the bill supported by the Connecticut General Assembly that would apply sales tax to purchases from online businesses in the state in 2011. It states that the bill would require remote sellers that have no physical presence in the state to collect sales tax on applicable...
- Marketplace Fairness Secures Solid Win in the Senate. // GPP eNews;3/29/2013, p1
The article reports that the U.S. Senate has voted in favor of an amendment that supports the Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013.
- Cigars Could face an Online Retail Disaster. WILLIAMSON, CRAIG // Smokeshop;Apr2014, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p48
The article reports on the adverse effects of the U.S. Marketplace Fairness Act on online retail and cigar industry as of April 2014. Topics covered include the bill's being another name for the Internet Tax Bill, the claim of brick-and-mortar stores that online retailers have an unfair...
- If it's in The Yellow Pages, the government shouldn't be doing it! Bartgis, Ann // Hudson Valley Business Journal;7/9/2007, Vol. 18 Issue 28, p2
The article reports on the move of county lawmakers to withdraw the hold of the state on ski areas in Greene County, New York. County lawmakers argue that it puts private enterprise at an unfair advantage. The lawmakers requested for accountability for public ski areas and a moratorium on all...
- Competition Act bears fruit, but... // Finweek;7/9/2009, p37
A summary is presented of the Competition Act of 1998 in South Africa is presented.
- What is 17200 Reform? Depends on Who's Asked. Cziborr, Chris // Orange County Business Journal;3/24/2003, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p1
Examines section 17200 of California's Business and Professions Code, which governs fair business practices. Clamor for action on consumer protection law; Plans to make changes to the code governing fair business practices; Abuse of the state's consumer protection law.
- LEGISLATIVE INTENT UNDER THE STATE UNFAIR SETTLEMENT PRACTICES STATUTES--ARE PRIVATE RIGHTS OF ACTION FORECLOSED? Rokes, Willis Park // Journal of Insurance Regulation;Jun84, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p432
Assesses the legislation enacted in the state of New York in 1970 which authorizes appropriate sanctions and penalties against insurers that were found to be consistently engaged in improper claims settlement practices. Provisions of the Unfair Claims Settlement Practices Act; Analysis of the...
- Prices 'did not universally collapse' after Rhode Island fair-trade repeal. // Marketing News;2/28/1975, Vol. 8 Issue 16, p5
Discusses the results of the study "The Effects of Fair Trade Repeal: The Case of Rhode Island," by Anthony P. Hourihan and Jesse W. Markham. Manufacturers involved in the study; Factors affecting the effect of the law's repeal on manufacturers; Conclusion of the study.
- Significant Changes to the Competition Act. Katz, Mark // Ontario Dentist;Jan2010, Vol. 87 Issue 1, p33
The article focuses on the amendment to the Competition Act of Canada by the Parliament. Included are conspiracy and merger review provision changes and increasing penalties and remedies for Act violations. The Bill C-10 and enforcement capacity of the Competition Bureau are discussed. The...