Anemia in Adults: A Contemporary Approach to Diagnosis
- How far to go in the anemia workup. Lipschitz, David A.; Wheby, Munsey S. // Patient Care;8/15/1993, Vol. 27 Issue 13, p76
Presents a step-by-step approach in assessing anemia. Differentiation of common anemia; Anemia risk factors and screening; Anemia workup; Differential diagnosis of anemia; Impaired ability of reticuloendothelial system. INSET: The logic of the workup: Determining the type of anemia..
- Anemia? Read the palm. R.M.D. // Cortlandt Forum;6/25/96, Vol. 9 Issue 6, p107
Suggests a quick test to determine whether a patient is anemic with low hemoglobin level. Insensitivity of the test; Alternative tests.
- The Nondiagnosis of Pericious Anemia. Hall, Charles A. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Dec65, Vol. 63 Issue 6, p951
Examines the non-diagnosis of pernicious anemia. Erythrocyte count; Symptoms and physical findings; Important clues to the diagnosis of pernicious anemia.
- Determination of the most common morphological patterns of anemia among Saudi anemic patients attending King Abdul-aziz Medical City-Riyadh. Elsayid, Mohieldin; Al-Qahtani, Abdullah Mesfer; Alanazi, Abdullah; Qureshi, Shoeb // International Journal of Medicine & Public Health;Oct-Dec2015, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p301
Background: Anemia is a medical condition in which the red blood cells (RBCs) count and hemoglobin (Hb) are less than the normal range. The main causes of anemia are a decrease in RBCs, their destruction and decrease of Hb synthesis. A useful method for diagnosis and classification of anemias is...
- A rational approach to the anemia workup. Wheby, Munsey S. // Patient Care;4/15/1996, Vol. 30 Issue 7, p158
Presents information on the diagnosis of anemia in patients. Causes of iron deficiency anemia; Information on anemia of chronic disease; Suggestion on how to different between iron deficiency anemia and anemia of chronic disease; Risk factors of anemia; Screening for anemia; Three ways to...
- INTRINSIC FACTOR ANTIBODIES // Davis's Comprehensive Handbook of Laboratory & Diagnostic Tests ;Jan2006, p821
Intrinsic factor (IF) is produced by the parietal cells of the gastric mucosa and is required for the normal absorption of vitamin BSB12sb. In some diseases, antibodies are produced that bind the cobalamin-IF complex, prevent the complex from binding to ileum receptors, and prevent vitamin...
- Prediction of anemia on unenhanced computed tomography of the thorax. Foster, Michelle; Nolan, Robert L.; Miu Lam // Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal;Feb2003, Vol. 54 Issue 1, p26
Objective: To determine if anemia can be predicted on unenhanced computed tomography (CT) of the thorax. Methods: Hemoglobin and hematocrit levels were obtained within 24 hours of the unenhanced CT scan of the thorax of 200 patients. Anemia was defined as a hemoglobin level less than 140 g/L for...
- Anemia diagnosis. R.M.D. // Cortlandt Forum;2/25/96, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p133
Suggests a treatment regimen for a Filipina possibly afflicted with anemia of chronic disease based on the clinical symptoms described. Reaction to purified protein derivative (PPD); Blood count; Discouragement for iron treatment; Need to consider other factors including chronic infection.
- AT A GLANCE: Pernicious anaemia. // GP: General Practitioner;1/13/2003, p71
Focuses on the diagnosis of the disease Pernicious anemia. Epidemiology of the disease; Clinical features of the disease; Therapeutic measures of the disease.