Westly Seeks Big Changes In California
- Controller: California Tax Amnesty Exceeded Expectations. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;4/12/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32109, p3
Reports that California Controller Steve Westly has declared the state's recently concluded tax amnesty offer a success. Total amount generated from the taxpayer's amnesty filings; Benefits given to the taxpayers who are contesting tax bills but chose to pay in advance; Approval of the budget...
- Steve Westly. Peterson, Shane // Government Technology;Mar2006, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p37
Presents an interview with California controller Steve Westly on government information technology. Information on Westly's 21st Century Project; Benefits of the project for the local government's payroll operations; Response of the public on the project.
- Background Note: Maldives. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Maldives;Feb2006, p1
Provides information on the country of Maldives, as of February 2006. Geography; Political system; Principal government officials; Foreign relations.
- Background Note: The Gambia. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Gambia;Aug2005, p1
Provides information on the Republic of Gambia as of August 2005. Population demography; Political system; Historical highlights; Principal government officials.
- GOVERNMENT. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Australia;Aug2005, p3
Provides information on the Commonwealth government of Australia as of August 2005. Political system; Judicial power of the High Court of Australia; Principal government officials.
- Background Note: Lesotho. // Background Notes on Countries of the World: Lesotho;Jan2006, p1
The book presents information on Lesotho. Geographical information about the country is presented. The country's ethnology and type of government are also given. It offers a look at the historical background of the country, as well as its political and economic conditions. The country's...
- They shouldn't lie and we shouldn't accept the lies. Larsen, Craig // Wenatchee Business Journal;Jul2007, Vol. 21 Issue 7, pA15
The author reflects on the concept of compromise as part of the political system in the U.S. He states that the elected officials are split on how to reform the system, which the comprehensive reform will have to be a compromise. In connection, he stresses that politicians should never lie...
- Partisan motives in American politics. Hartnett, Robert C. // America;10/27/1951, Vol. 86 Issue 4, p93
The article presents several comments regarding the political system in the U.S. Politicians are described as user and ambiguous with a habit of building political bonfires under their opponents. The capability of public officers in appointing individuals in their administration only illustrates...
- Shirking and sorting in a political market with finite-lived politicians. Lott Jr., John R.; Reed, W. Robert // Public Choice;Apr1989, Vol. 61 Issue 1, p75
This paper analyzes principal-agent slack in the context of a political market composed of voters, challengers, and incumbents. The introduction of a last period (via finite-livedness) in combination with voters' imperfect information about politicians' preferences causes time-varying shirking...