- The road from yesterday. Dafoe, Christopher // Beaver;Dec/Jan96, Vol. 75 Issue 6, p2
Opinion. Focuses on a referendum to vote on the future status of Quebec as a province of Canada. Impact of the campaign.
- St. Louis Metro, Menasha, Wis., Facing Bond Ballots. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/6/2010, Vol. 372 Issue 33294, p4
No abstract available.
- The changing nature of initiative campaigns. Young, A.E. // Common Cause Magazine;Jul/Aug89, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p43
Examines the changing nature and skyrocketing costs of initiative campaigns which enable citizens and others to take their legislative agendas directly to the voters.
- Looking ahead to the 1994 elections. // American Enterprise;May/Jun94, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p16
Presents a survey of citizen initiatives on issues prior to the November 1994 elections in the United States. Citizen initiatives in California from 1974 to 1992; Percentage of United States representatives with 12 or more years of service.
- Over their heads. Butler, David; Ranney, Austin // American Enterprise;May/Jun94, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p58
Presents an overview of the growing use of referendums and initiatives. Categories of subject matter of referendums; Use of referendums by Chile, Canada and South Africa; Arguments against the use of referendums.
- The United States. Magleby, David B. // American Enterprise;May/Jun94, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p61
Presents an overview of the use of direct legislation in the United States. History; Increase in the use; Most common subject matter.
- Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Brady, Henry E.; Kaplan, Cynthia S. // American Enterprise;May/Jun94, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p62
Presents an overview of the role of referendums in Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, in creating democratic systems. Use of referendum by putative reformists in Poland, Hungary and Soviet Union; Impact on public opinion; Failures of referendums.
- Western Europe. Bogdanor, Vernon // American Enterprise;May/Jun94, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p64
Presents an overview of the use of referendums in Western Europe. Countries where referendum has played an important role in the post war period; Types of democracy where referendum is hardly used; Limitations in the use of referendums in democracies in Western Europe.
- Our political leadership needs to prepare for the break... // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;11/13/95, Vol. 25 Issue 20, p18
Reports on the vote for an independent Quebec. Quebec referendum; Quebec's premier, Jacques Parizeau's resignation.