Carbon Offsets Allay Guilt, Abet Scams
- The inconvenient truth of carbon offsets. Anderson, Kevin // Nature;4/5/2012, Vol. 484 Issue 7392, p7
The author discusses aspects of the Planet Under Pressure conference held in London, England and his views about carbon offsetting. He asserts that he declined the offer of carbon offsetting because he believes it is dangerously misleading and has no scientific legitimacy. He contends that...
- Counterpoint: Responsibility is Lacking in Carbon Offsetting. Tucker, M.; Warhol, Tom // Points of View: Carbon Offsetting;3/1/2016, p3
The article argues that carbon offsetting is not an effective way to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. It claims that carbon offsetting does not encourage people to reduce their own carbon footprints. It emphasizes the need to develop a universal standard for all carbon reducing projects in order...
- BETTER PLANET. Kostigen, Thomas // Discover;Sep2008, Vol. 29 Issue 9, p22
The article focuses on plans to mitigate deforestation through a system of credits that can be bought and sold. The article notes the rapid rate of deforestation and that this increases carbon dioxide, both because felled trees release the gas and because felled trees no longer capture the gas....
- Reply to 'Anthropogenic CO2 emissions'. Francey, Roger J.; Trudinger, Cathy M.; van der Schoot, Marcel; Law, Rachel M.; Krummel, Paul B.; Langenfelds, Ray L.; Steele, L. Paul; Allison, Colin E.; Stavert, Ann R.; Andres, Robert J.; Rödenbeck, Christian // Nature Climate Change;Jul2013, Vol. 3 Issue 7, p604
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article by R. J. Francey and colleagues which discusses the anthropogenic carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.
- Higher CO2 levels affect more than corn. Bechman, Tom J. // Indiana Prairie Farmer;May2011, Vol. 185 Issue 5, p20
The article discusses the environmental effects and agricultural implications of the high levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
- THE CARBON REBELLOIN. Kardish, Chris // Governing;Oct2014, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p44
The article looks at the campaign against the U.S. president Barack Obama's policies that demands substantial nationwide reductions in the level of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions as of October 2014. Topics discussed include the rules of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for...
- G8 nations commit to building a score of CO2 sequestration demonstration projects. Kramer, David // Physics Today;Sep2008, Vol. 61 Issue 9, p26
The article reports on the plan of U.S. government to finance 10 commercial-scale carbon dioxide capture and storage (CCS) projects at coal-fired power plants. It notes that the heads of the G8 nations have unanimously pledged their commitment to deploy CCS as part of their goal to minimize...
- Always look on the bright side of life. Gautsch, Stefan // Heating & Ventilating Review;May2010, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p30
The article discusses the use of a solar thermal system which consist of solar panels and condensing boilers for energy efficiency. A solar thermal system can provide 60% domestic hot water requirements alone all year round. According to the article, saving money and reducing dependence on...
- Japan. // Elevator World;Jun2012, Vol. 60 Issue 6, p32
The article offers information on the Seventh Environmental Plan, a three-year strategy, which has been aligned with the Environmental Vision 2021 by Mitsubishi Electric Corp., manufacturer of electronic equipment, and the plan will help to reduce carbondioxide emissions at its production sites.