Earnings Management Using the Valuation Allowance for Deferred Tax Assets under SFAS No. 109
- Awaiting Harvest. Terris, Harry // American Banker Magazine;Nov2012, Vol. 122 Issue 11, p24
The article looks into the valuation metrics for banks using deferred tax assets (DTAs) to reflect the value of losses and reduce future tax bills in the U.S. It explains how bank DTAs are used to determine banking activities and bridge the gap between book-keeping practices and tax bill...
- ASC tackles problems of banks and lessors. Holmes, Geoffrey // Accountancy;Mar1978, Vol. 89 Issue 1015, p4
Reports the efforts of the Accounting Standards Committee to address the problems of banks and lessors in Great Britain. Plan to publish accounting standards; Disclosure of deferred tax balance in financial statements; Compliance of banks on disclosure requirements.
- Davison pulls ASC back into line over banks. Atchley, Kate // Accountancy;May84, Vol. 95 Issue 1089, p4
Reports on developments relevant to the post-budget statement on deferred tax by the Accounting Standards Committee (ASC) in Great Britain compiled as of May 1984. Openness of ASC to lobbying; Impact on the practice of accounting for deferred taxation; Implications for the banking system.
- General loan loss provision. // Accountancy;May99, Vol. 123 Issue 1269, p84
The article answers a query related to taxation in general loan loss provision of a bank. At the point where the loan loss provision is first recorded in the accounts its tax base is nil: there is therefore a deductible temporary difference between the loan loss provision's carrying amount and...
- Japan Bails Out Resona Bank. Platt, Gordon // Global Finance;Sep2003, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p22
Reports that Resona Bank has received a government bailout to replenish its dwindling capital in Japan. Details on the voting rights of the bank; Changes in the bank; Description of deferred tax assets.
- Wash. Federal Expects to Beat Targets. Kuehner-Hebert, Katie // American Banker;12/30/2008, Vol. 173 Issue 249, p20
The article reports U.S. financial services company Washington Federal Inc. in Seattle, Washington expects to post earnings that exceed analysts' expectations even though it plans to report higher credit costs. The company said it could partially offset the higher costs with an improved net...
- Better approximation of true deferred taxes. Lee, Buryung Brian // American Business Review;Jan1998, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p74
Investigates how investors should discount the deferred tax expense in estimating a firm's value. Controversy over the procedure; Valuation models; Estimation of the present value of deferred tax expense by aggregating gross amounts of deferred tax expense over the last 12 years.
- Accounting Solutions. Holgate, Peter; Nailor, Hans // Accountancy;May2001, Vol. 127 Issue 1293, p103
Presents a question and answer advisory on accounting-related problems. Determination of assets and liabilities in the fair value exercise; Requirement of deferred tax in respect of all timing differences under FRS 19, Deferred Tax; Amount recognized in the conversion of convertible debt.
- SSAP 15 ‘will boost earnings, but is no help to investors’. // Accountancy;Dec1978, Vol. 89 Issue 1024, p9
Reports the effects of the statement of standard accounting practice on boosting earnings in deferred taxation in Great Britain. Problems in high rates of inflation and lack of inflation accounting system for pre-tax figures; Increase in the earnings of the Philips and Drew Equity Book...