Stephen King to Be Honored for His Writing and Philanthropy
- Stephen King's American Apocalypse. Douthat, Ross // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Feb2007, Issue 170, p14
The article discusses the author Stephen King's acceptance of a lifetime achievement medal from the National Book Foundation for his "distinguished contribution to American letters." Aspects of his acceptance speech are discussed, including a critique of literary prize-giving for its snobbery...
- EDGAR AWARDS 2015. Williams, Wilda // Library Journal;6/1/2015, Vol. 140 Issue 10, p78
The article announces the author Stephen King was awarded with the 2015 Edgar Allan Poe award.
- New DCAL Cover Seal. // Publishers Weekly;3/5/2001, Vol. 248 Issue 10, p12
Presents information on the cover seal to be used on books by authors who won the Distinguished Contribution to American Letters Award from the National Book Foundation. List of the winners.
- SETTING THE BAR. Murphy, Cullen // Atlantic;Dec2003, Vol. 292 Issue 5, p135
This article focuses on the reduction of standards in the United States. The literary critic Harold Bloom wrote in the "Los Angeles Times," that the National Book Foundation's decision to honor novelist Stephen King with a "distinguished contribution" award was another example of dumbing down...
- BOOK BRIEFS. // Book Publishing Report;11/17/2003, Vol. 28 Issue 44, p7
Reports on developments involving companies in the publishing industry as of November 17, 2003. Acquisition of Riverhead Books of the book "The Meaningful Universe: Our Pivotal Place in the Cosmos" by Joel Primack; Announcement of the National Book Foundation that The Phillips Oppenheim Group...
- NBA Costs Pose Hurdles For Smaller Presses. Zeitchik, Steven // Publishers Weekly;10/28/2002, Vol. 249 Issue 43, p16
Discusses the issue about the cost of being a nominee for the National Book Awards. Complaints from the publishing industry; Argument of the National Book Foundation for charging fees; Concerns of publishers.
- The Need to Read Stephen King. Zaleski, Jeff // Publishers Weekly;10/27/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 43, p18
Comments on the reaction of the publishing community to the decision by the board of directors of the National Book Foundation to give author Stephen King the 2003 Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters. Examples of genre writers who were recognized as great writers at the end...
- News Briefs. // Publishers Weekly;10/24/2011, Vol. 258 Issue 43, p4
The article offers news briefs related to publishing industry. Author, Lauren Myracle, withdrew his book "Shine," from the Young People's Literature category of the National Book Awards of U.S. National Book Foundation. The bookstore sales increased by 11.8 percent in August 2011. The chief...
- Hardcover Bestsellers/Fiction. Maryles, Daisy // Publishers Weekly;12/4/2006, Vol. 253 Issue 48, p12
The article presents updates on best selling hardcover fiction books in the U.S. Author Tony Hillerman talks about the importance of women in Native American cultures in his best selling book The Shape Shifter. The 2007 Edgars banquet will be held on April 27 where author Stephen King will be...