Briefs Filed in California Recall Case
- Chad woes leave Arnold hanging. Snyder, Gabriel // Daily Variety;9/16/2003, Vol. 280 Issue 52, p1
Reports on the decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit to postpone the gubernatorial recall elections in California. Replacement of the obsolete punch-card voting machines; Implications of the five-month extension on the campaign strategies; Speculation on the reduction of...
- And the battle continues. // Advocate;10/14/97, Issue 744, p16
Reports that the ninth circuit of United States court of appeals has again upheld the constitutionality of `do not ask, do not tell.' Court's decision regarding its position to `judge the wisdom, fairness or logic of legislative choices.'
- Appeals court to hear wetlands case. Greczyn, Mary // Waste News;03/23/98, Vol. 3 Issue 45, p2
Reports that the 9th United States Circuit Court of Appeals has a case which could alter regulations on how private and public sector landfills develop wetlands. Reference made to Section 404 wetlands permit by the U.S. Army Corps; Decision made U.S. District Court; Information on Resource...
- Appeals Court Upholds Military Ban on Gays. // Advocate;12/11/80, Issue 307, p7
Reports on the ruling of the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals that the Navy can legally discharge sailors engaged in homosexual conduct. Assertion that homosexuality can impairs combat readiness, efficiency and morale; Background of the case of three California sailors who were discharged in...
- HURT FEELINGS AREN'T ENOUGH OF A REASON. Taylor Jr., Stuart // National Journal;7/6/2002, Vol. 34 Issue 27, p1996
Comments on the decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit to declare the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional in the case of Mike Newdow versus U.S. Congress. Facts of the case; Basis of the ruling; Implications of the decision for the separation between church and state.
- Time with Stupid: Circuit Court Puts Napster to Sleep. McDaniel, Joshua // EMedia Magazine;Apr2001, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p9
Deals with the decision of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in the United States on the injunction leveled against Napster company. Impact of the ruling on record companies; Criticism on the reaction of Hillary Rosen of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
- Forests Injunction lifted on Clinton 'roadless rule'. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;12/23/2002, Vol. 249 Issue 26, p9
Reports on a ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit which removed an obstacle to a Bill Clinton administration rule barring building of roads in federal forests in the U.S. as of December 2002. Provision of the U.S. Forest Service rule issued January 5, 2001; Comments of...
- Judicial fibber. Reiff, Rick // Orange County Business Journal;11/10/97, Vol. 20 Issue 45, p58
Reports about San Diego US District Judge James Ware's withdrawal from the US Ninth District Court of Appeals' nomination.
- GROUPS AND EVENTS: Federal Court Accepts Gay Group's Brief. Anderson, Scott P. // Advocate;1/11/79, Issue 258, p15
Reports that the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals have accepted the petition of the gay rights group Dorian Group to file a brief challenging the constitutionality of an anti-pornography initiative approved by voters in Washington. Group's decision to file an amicus curiae opinion on...
- Make It Hurt So Good. // Army Lawyer;Jan/Feb2002, Issue 349, p121
Assesses the civil penalties of the false claim and treble damages against a defendant in the U.S. Functions of the Court of Appeals for Ninth Circuit; Amendment of the excess fines prohibition; Emphasis of the government actual damages.