Court to Reconsider Recall
- Briefs Filed in California Recall Case. Saksal, Rich // Bond Buyer;9/18/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31722, p1
Reports on the filing of briefs for gubernatorial recall election by California Secretary of State Kevin Shelley and Ted Costa to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco, California. Enlistment of Shelley as the defendant of the case; Official status of Costa as an...
- Nullify the Nutty Ninth. // Human Events;9/22/2003, Vol. 59 Issue 32, p1
Comments on the attempt of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit in San Francisco, California to postpone the state's special October 7, 2003 gubernatorial recall election. Reason behind the decision of Judge Harry Pregerson to postpone the recall election; Profile of Pregerson;...
- Reinstate the Recall Without Repealing Bush v. Gore. Levin, Marc // Human Events;9/22/2003, Vol. 59 Issue 32, p13
Comments on the ruling of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit to postpone the recall election in California until March 2004. Implication of the ruling; Flaws in the ruling of the 9th Circuit; Possible dilemma that the ruling created for the U.S. Supreme Court in the case of Bush...
- Chad woes leave Arnold hanging. Snyder, Gabriel // Daily Variety;9/16/2003, Vol. 280 Issue 52, p1
Reports on the decision of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit to postpone the gubernatorial recall elections in California. Replacement of the obsolete punch-card voting machines; Implications of the five-month extension on the campaign strategies; Speculation on the reduction of...
- Disorder in the court. Cohn, Edward; Zengerle, Jason // American Prospect;Nov/Dec97, Issue 35, p14
Focuses on the debate over the division of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals by Republicans in the United States. Speculation on the concern expressed by Republicans about the Ninth Circuit being overburdened with cases; Opposition by Conservatives on the nomination of several Clinton nominees;...
- Benefit don't pre-empt ADA suit. // Business Insurance;04/27/98, Vol. 32 Issue 17, p2
Presents information on the April 21, 1998 decision by the 9th United States Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco, California in regards of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Circumstances which led to the court case; Information on ADA.
- U.S.: Lesbian can seek asylum. Stanhope, Victoria // Off Our Backs;Aug/Sep97, Vol. 27 Issue 8, p3
Reports that a Russian lesbian can seek political asylum following a ruling by the Ninth Circuit of the United States Court of Appeals. Identification of the lesbian as Alla Pitcherskaia; Why Pitcherskaia is seeking political asylum; Details on the Board of Immigration Appeals denying the...
- ERISA--PREEMPTION OF STATUTORY CAUSES OF ACTION. // Journal of Insurance Regulation;Dec88, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p273
Focuses on a ruling by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in Kanne versus Connecticut General Life Insurance Co. that the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 preempts California's statutory causes of action. Details on the case.
- RECEIVERSHIP PROCEEDING--ABSTENTATION BY FEDERAL COURTS. // Journal of Insurance Regulation;Dec88, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p277
Focuses on a ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit in Grimes versus Crown Life Insurance Co. that questions involving a reinsurer's right off-set against an insurer in a liquidation proceeding were matters which should be decided by state, not federal courts. Details of the case.