S&P: Insurers Rode Out Recession Well, and Look Good Going Forward
- Diversification A Sound Strategy For Insurers. Connolly, Jim // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;1/8/2001, Vol. 105 Issue 2, p6
Looks at how insurance companies offset the effect of an economic recession in the United States by recalling credit issues of high yield bonds and commercial mortgages. Increase in stocks of insurance companies; What insurance companies cam do amid rising earnings and declining interest rates.
- Time to trim off the fat. Thomas, Stafford // Finance Week;6/30/2003, p33
Focuses on the key factors affecting the sales of the insurance firms in South Africa. Impact of economic downturn on the income of various families; Decrease of consumer spending; Costs of insurance premiums.
- High stakes. Pearce, Mark // Money Marketing;1/15/2004, p46
Assesses the demand for high-yield bonds in the year 2004 in Great Britain. Factors affecting the corporate earnings of several companies; Impact of economic downturn on the business performance of various financial institutions; Number of financial investors in the country.
- Japan: Insurers Post Higher Core Operating Profits in FY'06. // Asia Insurance Review;Jul2007, p19
The article reports on the move of nine major life insurers to post 8% year-on-year increased on its core operating profits in fiscal year 2006 in Japan. It reveals that life insurers have benefited from higher returns on their bond investment after the Bank of Japan has terminated its zero rate...
- Prudential: pleased with-profits. // MarketWatch: Financial Services;Apr2005, Vol. 4 Issue 4, p17
The article reports on the growth of the profits of Prudential Insurance Co. as it recovers from its equity market loss. The growth was a major achievement for the insurance company after it suffered a popularity decline as what once one of its major investment products was scrapped by...
- Analysts Worry About Industry Ties To Market Fluctuations, Guarantees. Bell, Allison // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;7/19/2004, Vol. 108 Issue 27, p6
Reports that analysts are happy about United States life insurance companies' profits but are worrying about the industry's increasingly strong ties to ups and downs in the stock market. Drop in bond default rates helped improve insurers' investment earnings in the first half of 2004; Stock...
- Movie attendance wanes, bonds tumble for Carmike. Braunschweig, Carolina // High Yield Report;12/13/99, Vol. 10 Issue 48, p1
Reports on the trading of Carmike Cinemas' bonds following the company's announcement of its failure to meet earnings projections for the fourth quarter of 1999.
- Big five set to tighten grip on with-profits bonds. // Money Marketing;12/4/2003, p14
Reports that five companies in Great Britain took two-thirds of with-profits bond business in 2002. Contents of the "Life 2003" survey.
- Top 25 underwriters in Florida. // Bond Buyer;11/17/97 Supplement Florida, Vol. 322, p34A
Enumerates the top insurance firms in Florida which handled the largest bond underwriting projects according to rankings published in the November 17, 1997 issue of the periodical `The Bond Buyer.' Includes Smith Barney Inc.; PaineWebber Inc.; Lehman Brothers.