- Chronology. Aykroyd, Clarissa // Exploration of the California Coast;2003, p58
The article presents a chronological list of events related to the exploration of the coast of California. The Italian mariner Christopher Columbus leads an expedition for Spain to find a western route to the Indies or Asia. In October, the expedition reaches the islands of the West Indies....
- Cabrillo's Voyage. Aykroyd, Clarissa // Exploration of the California Coast;2003, p26
The article describes the exploration of California conducted by explorer Juan Rodr�guez Cabrillo. Cabrillo had instructions to establish friendly relations with the natives by trading with them, and to build settlements if he found a good place to do so. He had explored in Central America,...
- UNITED STATES HISTORY. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2010, p478
An encyclopedia entry for important events in the history of the U.S. is presented. Explorer Christopher Columbus and crew sighted land on October 12, 1492. The first European settlement, San Miguel de Guadalupe, was established in 1526. In 1620, Pilgrims and Puritan separatists left Plymouth,...
- Five Hundred Years Later: RECONSIDERING COLUMBUS. Hay, Robert P. // USA Today Magazine;Nov91, Vol. 120 Issue 2558, p51
Chronicles the voyages of Christopher Columbus. Celebrations of the Quincentenary of Columbus voyages; Role of Columbus in the American history; Folklore depiction of Columbus; Conflicting biographies of Columbus.
- For the Land of Columbus. Kennedy, John B. // America;9/3/1921, Vol. 25 Issue 20, p468
The article focuses on the issue over Christopher Columbus' discovery of the U.S. It mentions that the first announcements on the American history movement of the Knights of Columbus have been disputed. It notes that disputants have written unlearned letters asserting that Columbus was a Jew and...
- The Shores of California. Aykroyd, Clarissa // Exploration of the California Coast;2003, p6
The article describes the history of the exploration of the coast of California. In the fall of 1542, three ships were sailing north along the coast of the modern-day state of California. Their names were San Salvador, La Victoria, and San Miguel. The head of their expedition was Spanish...
- A Big Trip for Columbus! // Scholastic News -- Edition 2;Oct2004, Vol. 61 Issue 2, p10
Presents information on the places and oceans explored by voyager Christopher Columbus during his trip in 1942.
- It's Time to Pack, Columbus! // Scholastic News -- Edition 2;Oct2010, Vol. 67 Issue 2, Special section p1
The article presents a lesson which teaches children about the provisions brought by explorer Christopher Columbus when he went on a trip and sailed for many days.
- Where Did Columbus Sail? // Weekly Reader - Edition 2;10/7/2005, Vol. 75 Issue 5, p4
Presents a quiz about the first trip of Christopher Columbus, using the map and the compass.