Greek government shaken up, banks open
- ECB: Greece must play along. Investor's Business Daily // Investors Business Daily;1/9/2015, pA02
Continued access to European Central Bank funding for Greek banks depends on completing a final review of prior bailout funds and negotiations for future plans between the country and its int'l lenders, the ECB said. Polls for a Jan. 25 election give an edge to a leftist party that wants to...
- Will Greece Elect Pro-Bailout Government? EDABURN, PATRICK // Moderate Voice;5/18/2012, p12
The article discusses the political condition in Greece, raising a question if the people will elect pro-bailout government. A survey depicts that the two traditional political parties in the country will get enough votes to establish a new government. The banking industry in Greece is also...
- Greek Leash Barely Loosened. Investor's Business Daily // Investors Business Daily;2/19/2015, pA01
3 The ECB raised Greek banks' emergency liquidity by 3.3 bil euros to 68.3 bil, short of the 10 bil sought. It raised urgent cash just last week from 60 bil euros. One source put withdrawals from Greek banks at 2 bil euros last week alone. The Greek PM said he'd ask eurozone ministers Thu. to...
- Europe Rescues Greece Again. Investor's Business Daily // Investors Business Daily;7/14/2015, pA01
2 The terms PM Alexis Tsipras agreed to in the wee hours Mon. morning were more severe than what Greek voters renounced July 5, but may be approved by Parliament and signed into law by Wed. In return, the country will get a 3rd bailout and stay in the eurozone, but with a deeply scarred banking...
- Berlin's bullyboy games. Legrain, Philippe // Australian Financial Review (0404-2018);7/17/2015, p2R
The author criticizes Germany's recent exercise of power against Greece. Topics discussed include the conditions imposed by Germany in the bailout deal that will only further depress the Greek economy, the European Central Bank's (ECB) illegal threat to end the entire Greek banking system, and...
- Greek bank deposits fall in January. // Regional Today;2/28/2014, p2
The article reports on the decline to 161.30 billion euros from 163.25 billion euros in December 2013 in Greek bank deposits in January 2014.
- Greek bank deposits inch higher in April. // Regional Today;5/29/2014, p2
The article reports that Greek bank deposits rose slightly to 161.3 billion euros in April 2014, the second month in a row, from 161.02 billion euros in March.
- Greece Opens For Business. Investor's Business Daily // Investors Business Daily;7/21/2015, pA01
6 Banks reopened with capital controls still in place as Greeks were reminded that banks needed deposits, not just withdrawals. Hefty tax increases took hold. The gov't repaid the ECB on time and made up the skipped IMF payment from June. A growing chorus for long-term debt relief must be...
- Lobbyists try to make bailout easier to swallow. Brush, Silla // Hill;1/14/2009, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p15
The article reports on the refusal of the lawmakers in the U.S. to support the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) for the struggling business enterprises in 2009.