In Special Session, Connecticut OKs $850 Million in Debt
- ask Dr. Dollar. Frank, Ellen // Dollars & Sense;May/Jun2003, Issue 247, p36
Answers a question concerning the budget proposals of the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush as of May 2003, which have been affecting federal governments with budget deficits. Opposition of Republicans to federal budget deficits; Views on government bonds; Effect of budget...
- 'Burned' on Slots, Maryland Governor Eyes Deep Cuts. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;6/28/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31914, p34
Reports that Maryland Governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. is likely to turn to spending cuts to help bridge the state's budget deficit. Impact of budget problem on bond sales; Ability of the state to maintain triple-A ratings of its bonds.
- New Jersey Court Hears Bond Battle. D'Ambrosio, Jill // Bond Buyer;7/23/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31932, p1
Reports on the debate in New Jersey about the state government's plans to issue appropriation-based deficit bonds. Arguments regarding the definition of revenue, debt-limitation clause in the constitution and the principal of a balanced budget during oral arguments in state Supreme Court.
- From stagflation to recession. // Caribbean Business;5/11/2006, Vol. 34 Issue 18, p24
The article reports that the already deteriorated economic situation in Puerto Rico will get worse before it gets better. The credit agency Moody's has announced that the much dreaded downgrade of Puerto Rico's bonds, chances were slim for a solution to the current impasse between the Executive...
- Detroit Audit Delay Could Hold Up Note Issue. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/25/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32118, p4
This article reports that Detroit's issuance of deficit elimination bonds in 2004 and its failure to complete its audit this year could cause Michigan to reject an application to issue $55 million of revenue anticipation notes. According to Terry Stanton, a spokesman from the state Department of...
- N.Y., Deadlocked on Tobacco Bonds, Mulls Interim Plan. McKaig, Ryan // Bond Buyer;3/11/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31590, p3
Reports on possible plans of using multi billion dollar in tobacco bonds to help in budget deficit for fiscal 2003 of New York. Proposal for providing security to multimillion dollar in annual payments under the national tobacco settlement; Reason for increase in budget deficit for the state;...
- Flint, Mich., Fiscal Review Team Says Debt Sale Is Doubtful. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/1/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31377, p50
Reports on the budget deficit of the state government in Michigan. Plan of issuing fiscal stabilization bonds; Disagreement of the city council members on the budget cut; Source of revenue.
- Miami Hopes to Redeem Its Image With $130 Million Deal. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;5/28/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31395, p37
Reports the strategic plans of Miami to cover up the million budget deficit in Florida. Plans to sell general obligation bonds; Creation of bond program oversight board; Adoption of rules for bond issuance.
- Analysts: Budget May Weaken California Financial Situation. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;9/9/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31467, p40
Reports the incoming budget deficit in California. Approval of the budget for the 2003; Increase on the demand of bond; Plan of the government officials on the issue.