- Failed telecom companies leave behind rich pickings. Kennedy, C.J. // Crain's New York Business;9/24/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 39, p18
Reports the decline in the prices of fiber optic cable in New York. Role of the failure of several telecommunication companies on price drop; Number of fiber connection bytes offered by FiberCity Networks; Utilization rate of haul optical fiber.
- 32 Duct-Bundle Installed For Combined Network Projects. Griffin, Jeff // Underground Construction;Sep2000, Vol. 55 Issue 9, p74
Deals with the combined efforts of several telecommunication companies in the installation of fiber optic cable through Irving, Texas. Use of directional drilling in the installation of multiple duct bundles; Description of the drilling units used; Problems with the project.
- Another Last Mile For Fiber Access. Kapf, Eric // Business Communications Review;Jun2002, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p8
Focuses on the fiber optic business of ConEdison Communications, the telecommunication subsidiary of electric utility Consolidated Edison, in New York. Involvement of the utility in fiber deployment; Discussion on the lease of Verizon rights of way; Benefits from selling wavelength services;...
- Repairs on the Verizon. FLAMM, MATTHEW // Crain's New York Business;1/14/2013, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p0001
The article reports on the repair project launched by the telecommunications company Verizon in New York City following Hurricane Sandy. The hurricane has destroyed 300,000 pounds of copper cable, prompting workers to install miles of fiber-optic cable. It is noted that the hurricane accelerated...
- Island Hopping. Griffin, Jeff // Underground Construction;Sep2000, Vol. 55 Issue 9, p78
Discusses the island-to-island cable boring project of Dynamic Cable Construction Co. Process used in the installation of fiber optic cable; Use of horizontal directional drilling in the project; Complications of the process.
- Fiber Installation In Changing Conditions. // Underground Construction;Sep2001, Vol. 56 Issue 9, p67
Focuses on a fiber installation project handled by horizontal directional drilling contractor, FaSco Excavating Inc., in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Purpose of the project; Challenges posed by the project; Background information on the company.
- Newsline. // Underground Construction;Apr2000, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p5
Covers several news briefs in the United States underground construction industry as of April 2000. Possible delay of a fiber-optic network in Toronto, Ontario; Release of a safety manual for operators of directional drilling tracking equipment published by Equipment Manufacturers Institute;...
- Pipeline Through LA Proves Challenging. Nutter, Mark // Underground Construction;Jul2000, Vol. 55 Issue 7, p6
Reports on the crude oil pipeline that was installed underground in Los Angeles, California as of July 2000. Challenges in installing pipeline in the area; Description of the directional drill requirement; Effect of oil viscosity to the network design; Role of OC-1 Ethernet fiber optics in...
- Verizon: Time For FTTP Is Now. // Underground Construction;Dec2004, Vol. 59 Issue 12, p24
The article focuses on high-speed Internet service via Verizon Corp.'s new fiber-to-the premises network. The new service offers consumer broadband capabilities with data speeds up to 30 megabits per second. To bring fiber to the premises, Verizon basically is overlaying copper plant witb new...