Strayhorn: Fee Hikes, Taxes Will Burden Texans
- Book Fund Deficit. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;5/25/2004, Vol. 348 Issue 31891, p31
Reports that Texas has a $67 million budget deficit for textbooks, according to Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn. Miscalculation by the state legislature and transportation budget officials of the revenue that would be generated by a new tax law.
- Texas Comptroller Makes History, Rejects Budget Proposal. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;6/20/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31661, p4
Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn on June 19, 2003 refused to certify a $117.4 billion budget proposal for the 2004-2005 biennium, telling lawmakers to fix a $185.9 million gap between revenues and expenditures by the end of the current fiscal year on August 31, 2003. This is the first...
- Carol Keeton Strayhorn has guts. Carole Keeton Strayhorn is nuts. Discuss. Burka, Paul // Texas Monthly;Jun2005, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p132
Features comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn of Texas. Details of her constitutional power as comptroller; Total budget of the state; Her tactics in managing the state budget; Information on the tension between the comptroller and legislative leaders.
- Fiscal Uncertainty. Galley, Michelle // Education Week;6/9/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 39, p20
Texas state officials are pointing fingers at each other over a budget shortfall that could leave students using 8-year-old textbooks. It all started when the State Board of Education was pinning the budget mess on state Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn, a Republican. On May 7, the 15-member...
- One Ticked-off Grandma. Smith, Evan // Texas Monthly;Dec2003, Vol. 31 Issue 12, p160
Interviews comptroller and politician Carole Keeton Strayhorn on the challenges and issues being faced in the field of politics in the U.S. Popularity of Strayhorn to voters in 2002; Views on her constitutional responsibility as a politician; Her approach to the issue of budget.
- Sales Tax Collections Continue to Rise. Ellis, Dick // Bulverde Standard (Canyon Lake, TX);11/15/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 46, p8
The article reports on the increase in sales tax collections in Texas. The state government announced that the state collected $1.6 billion in sales tax revenue in October 2006, up 17.3 percent compared to the previous year. In this regard, Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn sent $505.3...
- SHOOT-OUT AT THE GOP CORRAL. Maggs, John // National Journal;11/8/2003, Vol. 35 Issue 45, p3443
Focuses on the criticism of Texas Governor Rick Perry's proposed budget by Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn. Action taken by the Legislature on Strayhorn's charges; Background on the political career of Strayhorn; History of the conflict between Strayhorn and Perry.
- Texas Comptroller Strayhorn Certifies Budget $139B Biennial Budget. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;6/6/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32147, p1
Reports that Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn has certified a balance and approved multibillion dollar biennial state budget for 2006-2007. Criticism of Strayhorn on the decision of the state lawmakers to raid the state's emergency funds to increase spending for new programs and...
- Comptroller reports gains in state and local sales tax rebates. // Lakelander (Whitney, TX);7/26/2006, Vol. 20 Issue 30, p7
The article reports on the increase in state and local sales tax rebates of Austin, Texas according to comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn. She delivered $412.4 million in July 2006 sales tax allocation to cities, counties and other local entities. A total of $12.3 million sales tax allocations...