Muting the Urge to Merge
- LG Management: A Job, an Adventure, or a Mission? Hobbs, Dan // Public Management (00333611);May2000, Vol. 82 Issue 5, p7
Offers insights on working in local government. Reminders to those who plan to serve as manager; Tips on starting a new job in local government; Prime reason for council conflict.
- Social responsibility in local government and what it signals for private enterprise. Du Chateau, Caroll // Management;Apr96, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p43
Describes the role of chief executive officers of city councils in New Zealand in balancing the council's social and commercial responsibilities. Planning, decision-making and environmental roles; Top local authorities; Activities and programs in Tauranga, Manukau City and Waimakariri district...
- Local Authority Boundary Changes from 1 April 2009. // Population Trends;Summer2009, Vol. 136, p3
The article announces the new unitary authorities (UAs) created by district councils in England, including the Bedford UA from Bedford District Council, the Central Bedfordshire UA from Mid Bedfordshire and South Bedfordshire District Councils, and Cheshire West and Chester UA from Chester,...
- Best Value report savages Harlow. Meilton, David // Public Finance;05/04/2001, p10
Reports that the Harlow District Council in Essex is one of the worst-performing local authorities in Great Britain, according to the Best Value Inspectorate. Harlow's need to use the private sector to deliver services; Coucil leader Alan Jones' allegations that the inspectors failed to take...
- York subjects personnel services to quality audit. Thatcher, Mike // People Management;3/19/1998, Vol. 4 Issue 6, p16
Reports that the York City Council in Great Britain will introduce a `best value' concept in its personnel department as part of a pilot program reviewing the provision of local government services. Replacement of the compulsory competitive tendering; Perception on personnel services. INSET:...
- LEADING LIGHTS. Valios, Natalie // Community Care;4/22/2004, Issue 1519, p36
Features the councils that were awarded as beacon councils under the local government beacon scheme in England. Tower Hamlets; Westminster; South Gloucestershire.
- Christchurch City Council acts swiftly to reset rates. // LG: New Zealand Local Government;
The article reports on the immediate action taken by the Chirstchurch City Council on resetting rates that has been a problem since 2004.
- Taken on trust. Grigsby, John // Public Finance;11/22/96, p8
Opinion. Asserts that local governments in Great Britain should be trusted to raised its own funds. Little concrete value of the government's response to the Lords select committee on relations between central and local governments; Role and status of local government in the United Kingdom.
- Councils fear the costs of PFI. // Public Finance;3/31/95, p4
Reports on the reaction of councils in Great Britain to efforts extending the private finance initiative in local government. Capital control relaxations announced by local government minister David Curry; Association of Metropolitan Authorities chairman Jeremy Beecham's comment on the...