New Schools Shuttered
- Local Voters Decide Tax, Governance Questions. Reid, Karla Scoon; Gewertz, Catherine; Gehring, John // Education Week;11/10/2004, Vol. 24 Issue 11, p6
This article reports that voters in two Ohio cities sent very different messages to their school districts on Election Day. The Ohio decisions came as voters in communities across the nation cast ballots last week affecting school districts' leadership and budgets on a day marked by the high...
- Judge Prohibits School Closings. // Education Week;6/13/2007, Vol. 26 Issue 41, p5
The article discusses how a Delaware district judge has ruled that a school district in the state cannot close any of its schools in the Wilmington area because it has not complied with a state law requiring that students be sent to schools closest to their homes. The Christina school district...
- Small Schools Under Big Fire. Gewertz, Catherine // Education Week;3/22/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 28, p5
The article reports that a New York City advisory group is requesting the school district's leaders to delay their plan to open small schools. The Citywide Council on High Schools said that existing high schools are getting overcrowded as they accept students displaced by small-school...
- Whatâ€™s required to start a teacher-led school? Nazareno, Lori // Phi Delta Kappan;Apr2014, Vol. 95 Issue 7, p26
The article covers the requirements for establishing a teacher-led school and presents a series of questions to be considered in the process. Topics covered include policy making, district administrators, and teacher preparation programs. Particular attention is given to collaboration among...
- after-school programs: an investment that pays off. Fletcher, Andria J.; Padover, Wayne // Leadership;Mar/Apr2003, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p21
Points out that after-school programs can be an exceptionally cost-effective approach to supporting school district goals, such as improving student achievement and building vital community partnerships. Benefits to districts and communities; Balanced and diversified funding; Leveraging...
- opportunity: the other half of crisis. Ohm, Kathy // Leadership;Mar/Apr2003, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p28
Points out that the economic crisis in school districts in California provides an opportunity for improving effectiveness. Meeting the needs of all students; Curriculum; Lifelong learners; Organization.
- Private management and school reform. Doyle, Denis P. // American Enterprise;May/Jun94, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p12
Focuses on the need for school management reform in the United States. Privatization of instructional services; Risks to school districts.
- Winners and losers. // American School & University;Jul99, Vol. 71 Issue 11, p3
Presents an update on the record-setting school bond proposals of some school districts in the United States as of July 1, 1999. Information on the proposal approved by the Omaha School District in May; Cost of the proposals approved in the districts of Bloomington and Mounds View in Minnesota;...
- Lowering the threshold. // American School & University;Jul99, Vol. 71 Issue 11, p3
Reports on the `Let's Fix Our Schools Committee' campaign of school and business leaders in California. Purpose of the campaign; Number of signatures needed by the campaign; List of schools districts that will benefit from the campaign.