Borders Group Snaps Up Independent Bookseller
- Borders Buys Hawley-Cooke Booksellers. Mutter, John // Publishers Weekly;8/25/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 34, p15
Reports on the decision of Borders to acquire the assets of Hawley-Cooke Booksellers in Louisville, Kentucky. Closure and conversion of stores into Borders Books & Music stores; Plan of Borders to open a supermarket in the area; Plan of Borders for the employees of Hawley-Cooke.
- Borders buys toy kiosk firm. // Playthings;May99, Vol. 97 Issue 5, p12
Discloses that book retailer Borders Group Inc. is buying interactive toy and novelty retailer All Wound Up.
- Columbia House Bows Blu Club; Parent Makes Offer to Buy Borders. Gruenwedel, Erik // Home Media Magazine;7/4/2011, Vol. 33 Issue 27, p20
The article reports on the offer by Direct Brands, the parent of mail order disc service Columbia House, to acquire bankrupt bookstore company Borders Group Inc., and the launch of the first ever Blu-ray Disc Club by Direct Brands on July 1, 2011.
- Hawley-Cooke opens third store. // Publishers Weekly;8/19/1996, Vol. 243 Issue 34, p25
Reports on Hawley-Cooke Booksellers' opening of its third store in Louisville, Kentucky in September 1996.
- Hawley-Cooke helps restock flooded library. Bernstein, Elizabeth // Publishers Weekly;5/26/1997, Vol. 244 Issue 21, p34
Tells that Hawley-Cooke Booksellers of Louisville, Kentucky is coordinating a book drive to help restock a Kentucky library destroyed in the spring 1997 flooding of the Ohio River. Losses of the Falmouth Library; Contact point for donations.
- Bullish on books. Nold Jr., James // Louisville Magazine;Jul98, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p40
Focuses on the Hawley-Cooke Booksellers' store in Louisville, Kentucky. Browsing by customers at the store; Founders of the bookstore; History of the bookstore; Insights into unfolding social history provided by Hawley-Cooke.
- Hawley-Cooke teams up with nonprofit to nab big-name authors. Angel, Karen // Publishers Weekly;8/26/1996, Vol. 243 Issue 35, p40
Informs that Hawley-Cooke Booksellers is collaborating with Kentucky Author Forum to bring authors to Louisville, Kentucky. Events to be held at Louisville's Kentucky Center for the Arts; Expecting Neil Simon to appear on November 26, 1996 and John Updike on February 25; More details about the...
- Hawley-Cooke's Helpings. Summer, Bob // Publishers Weekly;10/21/2002, Vol. 249 Issue 42, p24
Introduces the community cookbook 'Helpings,' from Hawley-Cooke Booksellers. Cost of the cookbook; Contributions of the book to Metro United Way; Features and cover design of the book.
- Quick Takes. // Investment Dealers' Digest;1/7/2011, Vol. 77 Issue 1, p5
The article offers finance news briefs in the U.S. Borders Group Inc. has delayed payments to its vendors in the middle of its attempt in refinancing the debt. Venture Capital's supported companies, through its activities, have increased in the fourth quarter due to record-breaking mergers and...