Power Bonds Power On
- Canadian plants struggle after blackout. Schoder, Amy // Automotive News;8/25/2003, Vol. 77 Issue 6054, p3
U.S. automobile dealerships could see a delay in the arrival of vehicles from Canada as auto plants there struggled to resume production in the wake of the August 14 blackout. At least three plants in Ontario shut down for two days or reduced shifts last week after the government asked companies...
- WHAT MADE THE LIGHTS GO OFF... Yourish, Karen; Ulick, Josh // Newsweek;8/25/2003, Vol. 142 Issue 8, p40
Offers a diagram showing the power failure of August 14, 2003 in the United States and Canada.
- ...AND HOW THEY CAME BACK ON. // Newsweek;8/25/2003, Vol. 142 Issue 8, p41
Offers a diagram showing the restoration of power during the power failure of August 14, 2003 in the United States and Canada.
- THE DAY THE LIGHTS WENT OUT. Adler, Jerry; Gegax, T. Trent; Smalley, Suzanne; Scelfo, Julie; Piore, Adam; Begun, Bret; Gimbel, Barney; Kovner, Kristin; Braiker, Brian; Childress, Sarah; Moreau, Dan; Adams, Jonathan; Bailey, Peter; Kimball-Stanley, Arthur; Raymond, Joan; Naughton, Keith // Newsweek;8/25/2003, Vol. 142 Issue 8, p44
Offers a look at the power failure of August 14, 2003 in New York City. Immobilization of the subway trains and elevators; Loss of water and gasoline in Cleveland, Ohio; Problems some people faced because of the lack of electricity such as key cards that would not work and a lack of cash; Use...
- 42,000 Units Lost In Outage. // Ward's Auto World;Sep2003, Vol. 39 Issue 9, p9
Reports on the effect of the blackout in August 2003 on automobile production throughout the U.S. Northeast. Number of automobile unit affected by the blackout; Action taken by General Motors Corp. to recoup production lost.
- Blackout rekindles Indian Point debate. Phillips, Alex // Westchester County Business Journal;8/25/2003, Vol. 42 Issue 34, p1
Focuses on the impact of the blackout in Westchester, New York City. Arguments on the need to operate the Indian Point nuclear plants; Damage on the electric grid in the plant; Inquiries on the reliability of the power plant; Indication of the need to develop independent power sources.
- Power outages send shock through plastics industry. // Plastics News;8/18/2003, Vol. 15 Issue 25, p1
Hundreds of plastics-related companies from New York to Michigan were without power August 14 and 15 following a massive power outage. More than 35 plants operated by General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. were affected by the cascading blackout. Compounders in the region reported mixed...
- Power outage could have positive effect on Energy Bill. Mills, Alex // Fort Worth Business Press;8/29/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 33, p9
Presents updates on the petroleum industry in Texas as of August 29, 2003. Effect of the power outage in the Northeast and Midwest on oil refineries; Reason for the increase in gas prices; Penalties imposed by the Railroad Commission on oil and gas operators; Decision of the Texas Commission on...
- OTHER VOICES: We should avoid overreacting to blackout. Ault, James // Crain's Detroit Business;9/8/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 36, p9
The recent Northeast electric power blackout is just the latest in a series of events that have reminded Michigan's citizens of the importance of public utility service in their daily lives. The earlier incidents include the spring flood and outages in Marquette, which threatened to disrupt...
- KEEPING THE LIGHTS ON. Andersen, Glen; Hay, Keith // State Legislatures;Apr2010, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p20
The article discusses how the U.S. will sustain its energy supply. It cites the successive breakdown of the electrical grid in August 2003 which caused power blackout in eight states including Canada for two days and caused 11 deaths. It mentions that several legislators saw a serious concern on...