Power Bonds Power On
- WHAT MADE THE LIGHTS GO OFF... Yourish, Karen; Ulick, Josh // Newsweek;8/25/2003, Vol. 142 Issue 8, p40
Offers a diagram showing the power failure of August 14, 2003 in the United States and Canada.
- ...AND HOW THEY CAME BACK ON. // Newsweek;8/25/2003, Vol. 142 Issue 8, p41
Offers a diagram showing the restoration of power during the power failure of August 14, 2003 in the United States and Canada.
- THE DAY THE LIGHTS WENT OUT. Adler, Jerry; Gegax, T. Trent; Smalley, Suzanne; Scelfo, Julie; Piore, Adam; Begun, Bret; Gimbel, Barney; Kovner, Kristin; Braiker, Brian; Childress, Sarah; Moreau, Dan; Adams, Jonathan; Bailey, Peter; Kimball-Stanley, Arthur; Raymond, Joan; Naughton, Keith // Newsweek;8/25/2003, Vol. 142 Issue 8, p44
Offers a look at the power failure of August 14, 2003 in New York City. Immobilization of the subway trains and elevators; Loss of water and gasoline in Cleveland, Ohio; Problems some people faced because of the lack of electricity such as key cards that would not work and a lack of cash; Use...
- KEEPING THE LIGHTS ON. Andersen, Glen; Hay, Keith // State Legislatures;Apr2010, Vol. 36 Issue 4, p20
The article discusses how the U.S. will sustain its energy supply. It cites the successive breakdown of the electrical grid in August 2003 which caused power blackout in eight states including Canada for two days and caused 11 deaths. It mentions that several legislators saw a serious concern on...
- Our Fragile, Challenged Electric System. Cordaro, Matthew // Transmission & Distribution World Exclusive Insight;9/10/2013, p1
The article focuses on the need of establishing quality electrical systems with reference to the 2003 Northeast Blackout in the U.S. Topics discussed include the need to address the areas with power supply issues in the northeast, the problems to be addressed in New York including improvement in...
- Learning from the 2003 Blackout. DeBlasio, Allan J.; Resan, Terrance J.; Zirker, Margaret E.; Lovejoy, Kristin; Fichter, Kate // Public Roads;Sep/Oct2004, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p22
Explores the lessons from the August 2003 power outage in the U.S. on positioning the transportation system for optimal performance during disasters. Impact of the power outage on the public transportation system; Cause of the power failure; Implications of the power outage on commuters;...
- THE PRICE OF DARKNESS. McGinn, Daniel; Naughton, Keith; Raftery, Isolde // Newsweek;8/25/2003, Vol. 142 Issue 8, p42
Offers a look at the economic aspects of the power failure of August 14, 2003 in the United States. Report that the economic damage will be minimal; Discussion of consumer behavior; Comments on how the blackout affected the New York Stock Exchange; Weaknesses in the U.S. electrical infrastructure.
- PROTECTING OUR INFRASTRUCTURE. Roane, Kit R. // U.S. News & World Report;9/15/2003, Vol. 135 Issue 8, p26
Focuses on efforts to protect the infrastructure of the United States from terrorist attack. Mention of fear caused by the August 14, 2003 power failure; How the nuclear and chemical plants, waterways, and the Brooklyn Bridge are receiving extra security attention; View of Stephen Flynn,...
- Decade Passes Since 2003 Blackout, NEMA Establishes Two Programs to Improve Electrical Grid. // Transmission & Distribution World Exclusive Insight;8/14/2013, p1
The article offers information related to two programs of the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) regarding technical and policy aspects of improving the performance of the electrical grid in the U.S. including the Emerging Technology Panel (ETP) and NEMA Strategic Initiatives...