Oil Trumps Art
- Pictures of Controversy. Bailey, Holly // Newsweek;5/5/2003, Vol. 141 Issue 18, p16
Focuses on photographs from 'Seasons of Life and Land,' a book by photographer Subhankar Banerjee and the subject of an exhibit at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History. Use of the photographs during the U.S. Senate's debate over proposed oil drilling in Alaska's Arctic National...
- Readers Talk Back. Acker, William G.; Cavallo, Alfred J. // Power;Nov/Dec2004, Vol. 148 Issue 9, p14
Presents letters to the editor in response to the article "Environmental Myopia," published in the July 2004 issue. Disapproval of the calculations used for the Alaska-based Arctic National Wildlife Refuge's crude oil production; Errors of fact and exaggerations in the article.
- Proclamation 8613--50th Anniversary of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Obama, Barack H. // Daily Compilation of Presidential Documents;12/6/2010, p1
The article presents the proclamation by U.S. President Barack H. Obama on December 6, 2010 regarding the 50th anniversary of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. It cites the historical significance of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and the purpose of its establishment. The proclamation...
- BIRDING IN AN UNTAMED LAND. Sibley, David Allen // National Wildlife;Aug/Sep2003, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p34
Recounts the 2002 summer experience of a field guide author in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. Description of the activities of birds in the Arctic; Types of bird species found in the area; Major threat of disruption in the refuge. INSET: How Birds Link the Arctic Refuge to Your...
- Welfare State. Foer, Franklin // New Republic;5/6/2002, Vol. 226 Issue 17, p14
Deals with the favorable stand of Alaskans on the proposal to conduct exploratory oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska in May 2002. Examination of the image of Alaska as a self-reliant state; Economic significance of the proposal to the state; Federal budget allotted to...
- ARCTIC NATIONAL WILDLIFE RESERVE AND THE ECONOMY. Reynolds, Douglas B. // World & I;Dec2001, Vol. 16 Issue 12, p282
Discusses the proposal to open the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve in Alaska to boost the United States economy. Comparison between the national reserve and Mayan civilization; Prediction of an international oil crisis; Implications of the proposal.
- Dry Well for Sanity. Forbes, Steve // Forbes Global;11/24/2003, Vol. 6 Issue 22, p16
Comments on conducting oil exploration in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Benefits of conducting the oil exploration; Cause of the environmental problems that occur when conducting oil drillings.
- To Drill or Not to Drill? // Know Your World Extra;3/12/2004, Vol. 37 Issue 10, p6
Discusses several issues regarding the need of oil companies to drill in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) for oil. Plan of U.S. President George W. Bush to open the northern coastal plain of ANWR; Reason of the U.S Congress for creating ANWR in 1998; Area covered by the refuge;...
- Ground Truthing: An open journal from the Arctic (Part 2). Williams, Terry Tempest // Orion Magazine;May/Jun2004, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p36
Presents an article on visiting the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. Experience in drinking water straight from a river; Description of the wolverine tracks in the place; Goals of the inuits' ancestors in building inuksuit, the standing stones that dot the Arctic landscape.