Oklahoma Jail's Woes Grow Along With Private Competition
- Overcrowded Jail Market Puts Counties at Risk, Experts Say. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;7/29/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31687, p30
Reports that an increasing trend of private jail construction designed to encourage economic development in Southwest region in the U.S. poses a risk for bondholders and counties in the region. Intentions behind building major jails in minor counties; Problems associated with jails built 35...
- Locked-In Deal. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;9/16/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31720, p31
Reports on the approval of the Jefferson County Quorom Court on the issuance of the multi-million revenue bonds to finance the construction of several jail beds in New York.
- New Mexico Town Issuing $76M for Privately Run Jail. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;9/18/2006, Vol. 357 Issue 32468, p3
The article reports that the town of Clayton, New Mexico will issue $76 million of revenue bonds in a negotiated sale and use the proceeds to build a privately run jail that will house some 600 medium-security state prisoners. The bonds will be supported by a monthly facility fee paid to the...
- Troubled Oklahoma Jail May Be in Default on Its Bonds. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;7/16/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31678, p3
Focuses on the technical default committed by Grady County, Oklahoma jail that is the subject of grand jury investigation, on more than $17 million of revenue bonds. Reasons forwarded by Sheriff Kieran McMullen of Grady County concerning the default; Purpose for which the bond was issued;...
- Mayor Sees More Room to Grow As Inmates Fill Albuquerque Jail. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;9/16/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31720, p7
Focuses on the plans of Martin Chavez, mayor, to expand the Metropolitan Detention Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Use of the revenue bonds in financing the project; Increase on the number of beds; Construction costs.
- Oklahoma judge rules referendum did not specify jail site. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;03/10/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30846, p4
Reports the court ruling on a 1998 bond referendum not specifying a jail site in the county seat of Lawton, Oklahoma. Proposed location for the jail site; Opposition to the Haggar plant site; Examples of scenarios if the location will be in Haggar plant site.
- Okla. County Scrounges Up Enough Cash to Keep Jail Going. // Bond Buyer;8/28/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31708, p4
Focuses on the financial condition of the Grady County jail in Oklahoma. Overview of a revenue bond issue sold to build the jail; Assessment of the overall financial crisis in the county; Response of voters of the county on financing the jail construction; Opinion of Lawrence Goldberg,...
- After Vote, Arkansas County Set to Break Out Jail Bonds. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;11/9/2011, Vol. 378 Issue 33613, p4
The article reports on the development of a new jail in Hot Springs, Arkansas with proceeds from 42 million dollars of sales tax bonds which going to market on November 14, 2011, after voters approved a 1% increase of sales tax rate to support the bonds in the county.
- SOUTHWEST Bond-Watch. // Bond Buyer;11/12/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31511, p29
Reports on developments related to bonds in the U.S. as of November 2002. Efforts of the officials of Saline County, Kansas to identify possible options for construction of a county jail; Increase in the state revenues of Arkansas in 2002 compared to 2001; Voters' approval of several million...