TITLE

Recycling acid will clean up polluting plastics plant

AUTHOR(S)
Coghlan, Andy
PUB. DATE
December 1991
SOURCE
New Scientist;12/14/91, Vol. 132 Issue 1799, p24
SOURCE TYPE
Periodical
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
Reports on the potential of process for recycling sulphuric acid in reducing the dumping of acidic effluent every year into the River Tees and the North Sea. Use of oxygen rather than air as a medium for recovering sulphuric acid from effluent; Cost effectiveness of decomposing the effluent in oxygen rather that air.
ACCESSION #
10558631

 

Related Articles

  • Olin recycles sulfuric for microelectronics.  // Chemical Market Reporter;05/26/97, Vol. 251 Issue 21, p36 

    Reports that Olin Microelectronic Materials has begun a recycling program for sulfuric acid implemented at the SGS-Thomson Microelectronics plant in Phoenix, Arizona. Alternate uses for used sulfuric acid.

  • China Makes Breakthrough in Recycling of Waste Diluted Sulfuric Acid.  // China Chemical Reporter;8/6/2011, Vol. 22 Issue 15, p16 

    The article reports that Shanghai, China-based CN Water & Waste Ltd. has developed a technology for recycling waste diluted sulfuric acid by combining new-type ion-exchange resin with memrbrane technologies.

  • CHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF ALKALI ASH MATERALS. Rostami, Hossein // Journal of Solid Waste Technology & Management;Feb2004, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p1 

    Annually, the United states produces some 90 million tons of ash, of which 55 million tons is fly ash. Only 27% of this large quantity of fly ash gets reused or recycled. The remaining 73% are dumped into landfills. Alkali Ash Material (MM) is a novel construction material that converts fly ash...

  • RECOVERY OF BASE METALS FROM WASTE CPU BY HYDROMETALLURGICAL PROCESSES. BIRLOAGA, Ionela // Metalurgia International;Feb2013, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p69 

    Study on base metals, such as tin, nickel, iron, copper, from waste CPU has been performed using a hydrometallurgical route which consisted in oxidative leaching and chemical precipitation. The chemical leaching has been applied on concentrate obtained after milling and magnetic separation of...

  • Durability of Geopolymer Coated Recycled Aggregate Concrete Exposed to Sulphuric Acid. Gupta, Arundeb; Mandal, Saroj; Ghosh, Somnath // International Journal of Applied Engineering Research;2012, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p91 

    An experimental investigation was conducted to study the durability of recycled aggregate concrete (recycled aggregate coated with geopolymer / cement) exposed to different concentration of Sulphuric acid. A number of concrete mixes were prepared with uncoated recycled aggregates, cement coated...

  • Seminar on `Wet oxidation of waste water and spent sulphuric acid recycling'. Murthy, K. S. // Chemical Business;Sep99, Vol. 13 Issue 9, p53 

    Reports on the topics discussed during the seminar organized by Bertrams Limited on May 11, 1999 in India about wet oxidation of waste water and spent sulphuric acid recycling. Importance of industrialization on the economic condition of India; Effect of the heavy industrialization of developed...

  • RECYCLED CAR BATTERIES.  // Monkeyshines on Health & Science;Jun1999 Ecology, p27 

    According to the Environmental Protection Agency of the U.S., about 80% of automobile batteries are recyclable. Batteries are sent to a special factory where its lead, sulfuric acid and plastic are separated. The acid from the battery is then neutralized. The plastic from the battery is broken...

  • The Potential Application of Sulfonated Polystyrene (SPS) from Recycled Styrofoam in the Reduction of Heavy Metals in Wastewater. Mañalac, Sharon M.; Senador Jr., Antonio E.; Escoto, Angela D. // Proceedings of the International Conference on Waste Technology ;2009, p391 

    This study investigates the potential application of using sulfonated polystyrene (SPS) from recycled styrofoam in the reduction of heavy metals -- Ba+2, Cd+2, Cr+3, Pb+2 and Ni+2 in wastewater. Clean and contaminated polystyrene were sulfonated with concentrated sulfuric acid and used in a...

  • RESEARCHES ON POSSIBILITY TO RECOVER AND REUSE THE IRON(II) SULPHATE FROM ETCHING OF ROLLED STEELS. Lazăr, Liliana; Balasanian, Ion; Bandrabur, Florin // Environmental Engineering & Management Journal (EEMJ);May/Jun2009, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p541 

    The etching of iron materials in sulphuric acid solutions allows the dissolution of the iron oxides with formation of iron sulphates. The relatively low solubility of the formed sulphates imposes their separation for avoiding the contamination of the etching bath, as well as for preventing the...

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of THE LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics