Breakers decapitate disused reactor vessel
- Old reactors lay costly trap for the future. Webb, Jeremy // New Scientist;5/7/94, Vol. 142 Issue 1924, p4
Focuses on Great Britain's plans of dismantling its nuclear reactors. Burden on the future generation; Study of the cost-benefit ratio of decommissioning nuclear plants by the Science policy Research Unit (SPRU); Issue of budget allocation for the decommissioning process; Assessment of the...
- Reactor dismantling makes fast progress. Hibbert, Lee // Professional Engineering;10/30/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 20, p9
Details the progress on the nuclear reactor decommissioning project in Great Britain. Development of advanced gas cooled reactor at Sellafield in Cumbria, England; Removal of the thermal shield surrounding the core and protecting the pressure vessel from the extreme core temperatures. INSET:...
- Decommissioning--man and machine. // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Nov/Dec1994, Vol. 50 Issue 6, p7
Highlights the decommissioning of two nuclear reactors at the port of Paldiski in Estonia. Decommissioning experts trading of naval uniforms for civilian clothing.
- Statement on Russia's Announcement of the Closure of the Zheleznogorsk Plutonium Reactor. Obama, Barack H. // Daily Compilation of Presidential Documents;4/13/2010, Special section p1
The article presents the text of a statement by U.S. President Barack Obama dated April 13, 2010 regarding the announcement from Russian President Dmitry A. Medvedev of the closure of the Zheleznogorsk plutonium reactor in Russia in which he welcomed such move.
- TORTUOUS ODYSSEY CONTINUES FOR A DECOMMISSIONED REACTOR. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;3/10/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 9, p16
Reports on the delay in the disposal of a decommissioned nuclear reactor vessel from California to a disposal site in South Carolina. Reason for the delay; Attempts to move the reactor by the U.S.-based company south California Edison Co.; Cause of the denial of Panama Canal officials on the...
- Burial mounds planned for over-the-hill reactors. Milne, Roger // New Scientist;7/7/90, Vol. 127 Issue 1724, p18
Reports that Nuclear Electric, the state-owned power company in Great Britain, is considering changes in its policy on decommissioning its reactors, including the use of burial mounds for its reactors. Opposition of environmental groups to Nuclear Electric's decommissioning plans; Description...
- REACTOR SHIPPED TO DUMP AS UNIT. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;08/02/99, Vol. 243 Issue 5, p15
Reports that the internal components of the Trojan nuclear plant's decommissioned commercial nuclear power reactor was sealed and left intact for burial in July 1999 at Hanford, Washington. Contractor for the removal of the reactor pressure vessel; Main advantages of the approach; How the...
- UKRAINE TO CLOSE ONE NUKE, ADD TWO. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;12/18/2000, Vol. 245 Issue 24, p16
Focuses on the closure of the Chernobyl nuclear plant in Chernobyl, Ukraine and the construction of two nuclear reactors. Loan granted by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development; Conditions for the grant of the loan.
- Hanford plots reactor move. King, Harriet // ENR: Engineering News-Record;10/4/93, Vol. 231 Issue 14, p16
Reports on the United States Department of Energy's burying of nuclear reactors at the Hanford weapon plant along Columbia River. Decontamination and decommissioning projects; Monitoring and maintenance of reactors.